Ceiling fan from scratch

Old 09-30-04, 03:25 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan from scratch

Ok.. let me preface this with I'm a Do It Yourself novice. I've done a few things here and there with electrical work and watched an expert do stuff which made complete sense but when I try to do it I get all discombobulated in my mind Not to mention my termonology for this field is wanting.. so hopefully I can explain this with out confusing everyone else as well

I've put up 4 ceiling fans to existing wiring before and that's now some what of a breeze.

But what I'm now attempting to do is a bit of a challenge for me.

I want to install a ceiling fan in a room with no existing ceiling wiring. This is what I've done so far.

1) Cut centered ceiling hole
2) Mounted gang box(?) on supported 2x4 in attic
3) Determined where I want to pull power from for fan (closet light)
4) Looked at existing switches and wiring in room 900 times

As you can see number four has me pretty confused as does how to execute what I'd like to do.

There are two switches currently as you enter the room. 1 switch for an outlet in the room (presumably for lamps etc.) and 1 for the closet both reside in a two gang (?) box.

I've purchased a switch plate with switche holes that will enable me to keep the existing 2 switches and also add a dimmer and light switch for the fan. Also purchased a very large gang box to fit it all 4 switches or is it 2 dual switches.. probably what it's called. Following me so far?

Questions:
What's the best way to do this? What do I need to keep in mind, questions to ask (like Am I trying to do to much in one location? Would this be like overloading a circuit? etc.)

My expert friend that's not readily available or I'd just ask him, said I need to draw out on a piece of paper the electrical flow to make it easier for me to do. Problem is I dunno even where to start.

I sorta picture running a single hot (black) wire from my power source (closet light) to the switch (he said a single wire to the dual fan/light switch would work if I break some sort of connection in the switch to make them both hot but leave the other side connected.

Then I do something with 2 white coming out the other side (I think that's called switched hot or return wires.. not quite sure) and I'm guessing they go to the fan connecting one to the fan and one to the light.

Then there's grounds but I'm clueless about that. Maybe connect them to the gang box?

Sorry for the rambling but I needed to get what I was thinking down some where. Hopefully someone can sorta set me straight here.

Old 09-30-04, 08:26 PM
J
First, determine how the existing closet light is wired. Does power go first to the switch box and then to the closet light box, or vice versa? This will determine whether you need to get power from the switch box, or the light fixture box.

Then you need to go get and read (cover to cover) at least three books on home wiring. This will make you a lot more comfortable.

I'll address some of your other questions later.

Old 10-01-04, 07:54 AM
P
thanks, I'll check that out.

Yea the only book I have is a Home Depo Electrial 1 2 3 or something like that with several different home projects, their difficulty ranking, and how to do them. Not as much detail as I need though

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: