Remote/Direct wiring

Old 10-21-04, 05:00 AM
kdavulur
Visiting Guest
Remote/Direct wiring

Hi,
I am trying to wire a ceiling fan, such that the remote is used only for controlling the fan speed and not the fan light kit.

The ceiling fan has 4 wires (R, B, W, G). The fan box has 4 wires (R, B, W, G) and so we have 2 wall switches. The remote receiver has 3 inputs (R, B,W) and 2 outputs (R, W).

I would like to control the fan light kit using the wall switch and using the remote only for controlling the fan speed. Is it possible to wire it this way?

-Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-04, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think so..

if you connect the red wire from the ceiling to the wire for the light from the fan. (usually blue), and bypass the remote control.

I would then follow the instructions for wiring the fan and the remote. Ignore any references to the light. Execpt for the connection from the blue wire that runs through the fan to the light itself. Carefully cap off any unused wires.

Or follow the directions in the remote control for wiring a fan without a light attached. You will wire that connection directly from the ceiling.

Also, if there has never been a ceiling fan with light here before, your red wire may not be connected at the wall switch. If it doesn't work, I would check that first.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Desy2820; 10-23-04 at 09:21 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-25-04, 08:56 AM
kdavulur
Visiting Guest
It worked...

It worked. By wiring it this way, I am able to use the light switch to control the light and the fan remote (the fan switch needs to be on), to control the fan.

-Thx