Trying to Install Ceiling Fan Need HELP!!!

Old 10-23-04, 10:00 PM
hhendrix
Visiting Guest
Trying to Install Ceiling Fan Need HELP!!!

I am trying to install a ceiling fan in a bedroom where no light fixture exists. here are the steps I took:

1. cut hole in center of ceiling and installed fan brace/box
2. removed standard light switch on wall
3. 1 white, 1 black, 1 copper white showing
4. I ran 14/3 wire from the light switch to the ceiling fan. this had 1 red, 1 black, 1 white and 1 grnd wire

ceiling fan has 1 white, 1 black, 1 blue, 1 green

so I connected blue/black to black, white to white, green to grnd

5. installed a lutron dual switch (1 fan/1 light) which had a blue, black, red, yellow wire. the red is for the fan and the yellow is the light.

so in the light switch box I have the standard 2 wire and now the 3 wire and now the switch. I tried wiring everything up but could not get the fan to work.

I thought there was a problem with the 14/3 wire so I tried connecting the 14/3 wire directly without a switch but no light. it seems like no power was flowing through the 14/3 wire to the fan.

what am I doing wrong? please email me back and let me know how I am suppose to wire both the light switch box and the wires to the fan?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-04, 08:01 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Normally, you connect the fan/light like this..

My basic assumptions based on your post: Your 14/3 wire will power the ceiling fan and light. Your house power (from the breaker box, incoming power) is at the wall switch and is 14/2.

Ceiling connections: White to white, red to blue(blue is from fan, will control the light), black to black (fan motor), ground to ground.

Wall connections.... basically I'm not sure about your lutron dual switch, I haven't worked with one before. Please modify my information to match the directions for it. I'm also assuming that this is wall mounted and is not a remote control unit that mounts at the fan.

Use the power wire and your 14/3 going to the ceiling. White to white, ground to ground and to the switches! (Use a pigtail if needed).

This part gets tricky, I would use two normal wall switches, what you will need to do is to pigtail the black power wire and (one black coming in, two out) and connect one wire to the bottom screw of each switch.

Then connect the red wire to one switch (will control the light). The black wire from the ceiling will connect to the other switch. (fan motor control).

You should be in business! If still no joy, check the basics, pull cord for fan speed, reversing switch fully up/down, all connections tight.

Good Luck and post back with problems, questions, or success!

Last edited by Desy2820; 10-24-04 at 08:05 AM. Reason: More info..
Old 10-27-04, 07:21 PM
alansc9
Visiting Guest
re: Installing ceiling fan

You may want to check the power at the wall switch. Many wall switches are wired as a "switch loop". The black and white conductors route the "hot" side of the circuit through the switch. So you do not have the neutral (usually white conductor) side of the circuit at the switch.

If this is true you would need to go back to the existing socket or wall receptacle that the switch controlled to get both the hot and neutral leads.

You should be able to pick up an inexpensive tester at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Hope this helps!