Replacing 6" ceiling pot lights

Old 10-24-04, 10:18 PM
VancouverMike
Visiting Guest
Replacing 6" ceiling pot lights

Garamond
Have a bunch of 6" ceiling pot lights. Saw on a DIY show that there is a repalcement unit that will insert a halogen fixture into the same space with a larger ring to accomodate the smaller opening. THD people here in Canada don't know what I am talking about. Can you help??

Old 12-24-04, 07:06 AM
i38271
Visiting Guest
THD in US doesn't know either

Mike, I asked the same ? at my local HD and they were clueless, I also asked at Lowe's, same blank stare. I have done google searches and have seen what you are talking about. I'm in the process of determining whether I want to go with halogen or compact florescent lighting retro kits.
At HD they did not have any products like that, but at Lowe's they have a retro kit that uses compact floresent lights. I've yet to see any halogen retro kits in any store.

Old 12-24-04, 07:10 AM
i38271
Visiting Guest
Anyone with experience?

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone out there who has experience using these kits with respect to how satisfied the are with the halogen vs the CFL. My den has six of these lights as the primary lighting in the room with 100 watts each. Is CFL better/worse than halogen for this type of lighting?

Old 12-31-04, 06:19 AM
VictoriaJ
Visiting Guest
Fan Spacer

The part that you would need is called a Fan Spacer. I actually picked one up yesterday from Home Depot. It's a metal bar that attaches to the joists and then you can put a smaller junction box in the place where the cans were. Hope that helps!

VictoriaJ

Old 01-08-05, 05:18 PM
Charlez
Visiting Guest
6" Light Can COnversion

I'd like to conver my 6" can to a track light kit (4" mounting braket) I searched google for thsi Fan Adapter... Homedepot was clueless as well.. I cant imagine the only way is to rip out the can, and reptch the celing? Yuck...

Any help would be great!!!!
Thanks

Old 04-28-09, 11:48 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: