Another Fan Wiring Question

Old 10-25-04, 01:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another Fan Wiring Question

Hello all. I am faced with a small quandary involving a new fan installation. I currently have an old fan that has light controlled from one switch and fan controlled from another. The wiring is end of run and goes from switch to fan leaving me with white, black and black and white. However, the new fan has a remote which only has two inputs, one for white, and one for red (black). I want to be able to control the fan from one switch, the light from the other, and still have full use of the remote. The fan has blue (light), white, and black. These attach directly to the same color on the remote. So, if I do this, I am left with the black/white three way switch sitting by itself. Can I just tie that in to the black input for the receiver, or do I somehow need to bypass the received and go directly behind it and tie into the black? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-04, 02:43 PM
I want to be able to control the fan from one switch, the light from the other, and still have full use of the remote.
Sorry, no can do. Using a remote involves some compromises (which is why I sometimes just throw the remote away when I install a fan). Either use the wall switches or the remote, not both. Decide which is more important to you.

Old 10-25-04, 02:58 PM
Paul, I don't think..

you're going to be able to use the remote control and the wall switches at the same time. I don't see how you can power the remote control with the switch off.

You can use the wall switch to turn the light on/off and not use the remote to control the light at all, Just use it for the fan motor.

You mentioned a three-way switch, I assume it controls the light, correct? Not both the fan and light?

Please post back with more info on how you'd like to do this.

Maybe another forum member will have a way to do this.

Old 10-28-04, 08:41 AM
Update/ Other Options

Wanted to post an update with a more advanced diagram to let everyone know exactly how things are setup and what my final options are.

Here is the current setup:

Have a two wire power coming in (white/black)

The white ignores my first switch goes out directly to the ceiling fan box.
The black goes to a pigtail which then goes into the top screw of my first switch. This black wire also then goes to the top of my second switch.
The first switch has a "Red" connected to the bottom post and then goes directly to the fan outlet "Red" (light). The second switch has a white coming out of the bottom which then pigtails together with the "Black" coming from the fan outlet (motor). OK

So, I know there is no way to get the remote and both switches to work without running new wires. With existing setup, I am wondering what options I have. Once again, the remote has only two wires as inputs. I am more than willing to rewire/ignore one of the boxes.

If I wanted to just run power through the switch and leave it on always and then use the remote, how would I rewire?

Would it be possible to take advantage of the three wires already running to leave switch to control light, but remote to control fan, or vice-versa? Any additional posts would be appreciated.

Paul

Old 10-28-04, 11:39 AM
So, I know there is no way to get the remote and both switches to work without running new wires
There's no way to do this even if you run new wires.

If you want to use the remote only:
  • Connect the black and white wires from the ceiling to the two input wires of the same color from the remote receiver.
  • Cap off the red wire in the ceiling box.
  • Connect the output of the remote receiver to the fan as directed by the remote's instructions (usually just match colors).
  • Leave both wall switches on at all times.
If you want to use the switches only:
  • Do not install the remote receiver.
  • Connect black from the ceiling to black from the fan.
  • Connect white from the ceiling to white from the fan.
  • Connect red from the ceiling to blue from the fan.
Here's something I've never tried, but it would probably work. If you want to use one switch to control the fan's light, but want to use the remote to control the fan's motor:
  • Connect black and white from the ceiling to black and white from the remote receiver input.
  • Cap off the blue wire from the remote receiver output.
  • Connect black and white from the remote receiver output to black and white from the fan.
  • Connect blue from the fan to red from the ceiling (bypassing the remote receiver).
  • Leave the black wire switch on at all times, but use the red-wire switch to control the light.