12 x 16 room--how many recessed lights?

Old 10-28-04, 01:34 PM
CWL
Visiting Guest
12 x 16 room--how many recessed lights?

Hello all:
I'm planning on using 5" cans in a 12' x 16' room with a 7' 8" high ceiling. Will six cans be sufficient? I plan to do two rows of three. The rows will be about 3.5' away from the walls. The spacing along the length of the room will be ~3', ~4.5', ~4.5 ' (and then ~3' from the last light to the far wall).

thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-04, 01:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sufficient for general lighting. Insufficient for needlepoint. Lighting always depends on the activities, the people, and the other light (ambient, task, accent).

I might put the lights a bit closer to the walls. In general, the lights should be half as far from the wall as they are apart. By my calculations, that would put the rows about 3 feet from the side walls, and about 2'8" from the end walls.

Use wide floods for good distribution of light.

Old 10-28-04, 02:41 PM
CWL
Visiting Guest
Thanks...and a few other questions

It's a play room/family room, so no detailed task lighting planned from the ceiling. Will be using R30 lights and white baffles in the cans. Would you consider those appropriate wide floods? We're also adding wall sconces for lighting on the perimeter. Any preferences on lighting can brands? Elco okay? Halo?