Hunter ceiling fan wiring

Old 11-03-04, 10:58 AM
B
bluesbass
Visiting Guest
Question Hunter ceiling fan wiring

Hello, I have a question about wiring my ceiling fan (with light kit). The Hunter ceiling fan I am installing has a green wire, a black wire, a white wire and a black/white striped wire.

After removing the old ceiling fan, there are three wires coming through the ceiling: a white wire, a black wire, and a red wire (no green or copper wire). I checked the the wires with an AC multi-meter and the black and red wires are hot when measured across the wire wire.

I also have two 3 way switches. A couple pull chains controlled the old fan and the light, once either switch was turn on.

Anyway, I'm assuming the white goes to the white (neutral) and the black goes to the black (hot). But I am unsure what to do with the red wire from the ceiling? Should I connect it to the fan's black/white wire and see what happens?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-04, 11:39 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How was the old fan connected?

Old 11-03-04, 11:50 AM
B
bluesbass
Visiting Guest
The old ceiling fan was connected: red to red, black to black and white to white. No ground was connected.

Old 11-03-04, 11:59 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd connect black/white to red, black to black, white to white, green to the metal box. The red and black at the ceiling are probably wired together back in the switch box (future preparation in case you wanted separate switch control of the fan and its light).

Old 11-04-04, 06:33 AM
B
bluesbass
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I hooked it up as you recommended above and all is well. Thanks John!!