Onward power from switches

Old 11-04-04, 07:57 AM
Tea Bagger
Visiting Guest
Onward power from switches

Hi all! I was wondering if someone may be able to help me. I have a great interest in learning home wiring. I've read many books on the subject, and I've been all over the web learning about wiring. There is so much information on how to wire outlets and switches, but I have yet to find anything on how to plan out an entire circuit, i.e. how to wire for the next switch in a circuit. I know you just can't tap into any ol' place along the circuit.

Anyway, I'm finishing my basement and I'd really like to do the wiring myself (mostly for the experience). I drew up a sketch of how I think I have to do it, but I'm not sure it's right. Could someone give this a look, please?

http://www.geocities.com/justdipit/Switches.txt

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-04, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If were doing the work I'd have it split up into atleast 3 or 4 circuits.

Old 11-04-04, 08:55 AM
Tea Bagger
Visiting Guest
I thought a 15amp circuit could handle up to 1800 watts. My diagram shows 13 light fixtures. If I used 100watt bulbs, wouldn't that equal 1300watts?

Old 11-04-04, 11:08 AM
It's fine.

Old 11-04-04, 06:13 PM
I was not thinking in terms of simply overloading the circuit. If the circuit were to trip for any reason attempting to to investigate the problem would be a real challenge {especially if you have kids who like to leave boobytraps}. I would atleast consider using a different lighting circuit for the room where the main panel is located.Everybody has their own methods of doing work,this was just my way of running a circuit.

Old 11-05-04, 01:53 PM
Received 110 Votes on 100 Posts
I would not wire the shop, hallway and utility room as you have them pictured. Although they will work you require 4 wire cable between the light fixtures. I would run the second 3 way feed from the 1st light or the first switch and avoid the need for a 4 wire cable.
The "junction boxes". Are those separate boxes. I would be making those connection in the nearest switch box.

The other 3way setup are fine. The actually wire routing would be dependent on the physical layout of the room. It might be shorter runs to go from switch to switch with the 3 wire cable or from switch to switch to fixture.