recessed lighting with radiant-heat coil ceilings

Old 11-18-04, 11:56 AM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
recessed lighting with radiant-heat coil ceilings

I currently have a room about 30X15 in a condo.

It is basically a living room and dinning room in one.

Right now over the dinning room table there is a ceiling light with 6 60 watt light bulbs attached.

My ceiling has radiant heat coils, Does it matter what kind of recessed lighting that I put in?

Can i remove the current ceiling light, and attach the recessed light to the connection that is currently used? I plan on putting in 6 or 8 lights.

I had installed a dimmer for the current light above the table, however you can 'hear' the light when you dim it. is that because of the light fixture? or is it the light bulbs that i have are not meant for it? will i have the same buzzing noise when i install the recessed lighting?

thanks
seth

Old 11-18-04, 11:31 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It would be risky to cut into a ceiling with radiant heat.

Bulbs that buzz when on a dimmer can almost always be fixed with a different brand of bulbs.

Old 11-19-04, 09:27 AM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
I was talking to my friend who had radient heating in his living room, he said they had to take it out to do it. Is that what i'll have to do?

I know the condo next door also has recessed lighting, i'll see if they still have radient heat in their living room.

Come to think of it, their thermostate where they put the heat on and off, was replaced with a dimmer switch for their lighting....

i assume then that the radient heating is attached to the electrical box the same way? or am i off base there?

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: