Is it the wiring at the switch or at the fan?

Old 11-18-04, 10:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it the wiring at the switch or at the fan?

I just moved into a new home which was pre-wired for a fan.

The switch has a dimmer and a switch. At the fan side there was 3 wires, black, white and red, and the ground.

I hooked everything up per the directions that came with the Hunter fan and I have a problem. The problem is that the switch controls the light but the dimmer part controls the light (Dimming effect) and the fan speed. I had thought that the light would have been on the switch a lone and the dimmer would only control the speed as there are 4 positions on it. You can feel it clicking when you slide it.

BTW, the way I wired it is as follow. White to Fan White, Black to Fan Black, Red to Fan White/Black and Ground to Fan Green.

Now can someone confirm that I've wired correctly? If I didn't do you feel the problem is at the switch? If it's the switch, I'm assuming I need to make sure that the red is connected to the switch side of the switch and the black to the dimmer side. Then again, could the Fan just be setup like this; meaning that the internals of the fan are wired to work this way?

I'd just like an opinion before I pull the switch out of the wall in case I wired the fan wrong in the 1st place.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-04, 10:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The fan wiring is correct. Perhaps the switch wiring is not.

By the way, you must use that dimmer to control the light. If you try to control the fan speed with it, you'll burn out the fan motor in short order, and it will make a very annoying buzz while doing it.

Pull out the switches and tell us what you find.

Old 11-19-04, 08:14 AM
Received 65 Votes on 61 Posts
The switch is wired wrong. The power in hot wire is connected to the wrong place.
Power in hot(black) should have 2 pigtails. One goes to switch and one goes to dimmer. Then the black form the fan cable goes to the switch and the red goes to the other dimmer wire.
Connect the whites together, and the grounds together.