exterior weatherproof junction/light box

Old 11-24-04, 12:19 PM
F
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
exterior weatherproof junction/light box

i know these exist but i have asked many ppl both in stores and out in general public and no one seems to know of existence of any such thing even though i know better,

i am trying to find a couple of nothing special ordinary exterior light fixture installation boxes so i can properly and weather resistantly install a normal nothing special exterior lantern style light at both entry doors on exterior walls outside

i am sure that no code anywhere NEC or local allows you to use a standard metal interior style junction light installation box

am i right or not ?

how in the heck do you install exterior lamps with straight across screw holes that are closer together than the holes in the two corners of the standard metal interior boxes ???

i am at a major loss in regards to this issue also

somebody in this world must know what im talking about here ??

i hope so, and ASAP

everyone who ive asked out in the general public(none of whom are licensed electricians) thus far has told me its ok to use a standard metal interior style box, or that its ok to use none at all

i know this cannot be true, either one, especially no box at all

what morons install light fixtures exterior with no box ?

apparently alot do cuz i have seen no box at all for exterior lamps on alot of structures but i know that new construction always gets weatherproof exterior style boxes for exterior lamp installations, but no stores have anything even remotely close to such a thing

are exterior lamp installation boxes an extraterrestrial phenomenom that seemingly exist but really dont ?

what is NEC regarding installing new exterior lamps on exterior walls ??

where and how do i find out ? ASAP

thanks

Old 11-24-04, 10:34 PM
C
>>i am trying to find a couple of nothing special ordinary exterior light fixture >>installation boxes so i can properly and weather resistantly install a normal >>nothing special exterior lantern style light at both entry doors on exterior >>walls outside.

If the boxes are flush mounted (the front face of the box is even with the wall), you use a plain old interior style round box. Install the fixture then caulk the joint between the fixture and the wall. If this is a retrofit installation, you can use a standard cut-in 2x4 box or a cut-in round box.

If the box is to be surface mounted, you need a "Bell" box. They come 3" round and 4" round. AKA "round weatherproof box", but not all light fixtures will mount to one. You need a fixture that is made to seal aganst the face of a Bell box, unless the box is under the eaves, out of the weather.

>>how in the heck do you install exterior lamps with straight across screw >>holes that are closer together than the holes in the two corners of the >>standard metal interior boxes ???

You use an adaptor. The fixtures will probably come with one, and if they don't you can buy them separately. I prefer the sort that looks like a flat disc - makes for a more secure installation.

>>or that its ok to use none (box) at all

No - not OK. This is a good way to start a fire. Use a box.

They're cheaper than a fire....

Old 11-25-04, 10:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
There are good exterior plastic boxes with a range of w/p lids and fittings made by Eagle, Leviton (and one other whose name I don't recall.) Us well guys use them all the time in septic tanks and well pits or other damp locations. I will try to get you some numbers for these.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: