Light switch pops circuit breaker, Help

Old 12-18-04, 12:05 PM
wellington
Visiting Guest
Angry Light switch pops circuit breaker, Help

Added new pocket lights, and light switch. In the on position, lights work. When the switch is turned off, it pops the circuit breaker. Circuit breaker cannot be turned back on, while the switch is in the off position.

Man, we need help... Working on this project for two days now!!!

Thanks

Old 12-18-04, 11:37 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think I know what has happened, but it's a long shot and it's going to be difficult to describe here. Before I get in to it, try this test to prove my theory:

Turn off all of the circuit breakers in the panel except the one that trips when you turn off the lights. Now turn off the light switch and post back with what happens.

Does the breaker still trip or does the switch appear to work normally?

Old 12-19-04, 07:39 AM
wellington
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your response

Turned off all other breakers. Except the one in question, and still tripped in the off postition.

Old 12-19-04, 07:45 AM
J
Received 294 Votes on 253 Posts
YOu have it exactly backwards. the breaker trips when you turn on the switch. You wired a switch loop with the switch acoss the line. You don't always connect black to black and white to white. In this case there should be a white and black connected together at the light.

At the light fixture.
The white from the switch should be connected to the power in black. The black from the switch should be connected to the black from fixture,

You can confirm this by checking the wires at the switch. If there is a black and white attached to the switch then this is your problem.

Old 12-19-04, 08:36 AM
wellington
Visiting Guest
I actually put in two pocket lights. Do I connect the black and white at both fixtures or only at the one immediately before the switch?

Thanks so much...

Old 12-19-04, 10:07 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hmmm...

When you turn the switch off and the breaker trips, can you actually read the word "off" on the front of the switch?

Or are you really turning it "on" because you installed the switch upside down?

Old 12-20-04, 10:14 AM
J
Received 294 Votes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by wellington
I actually put in two pocket lights. Do I connect the black and white at both fixtures or only at the one immediately before the switch?

Thanks so much...
You need to tell us how you ran the cables between the boxes and where the power comes in.
For example power comes in L1. 14/2 from L1 to L2 and 14/2 from L1 to switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: