Ceiling fans keep turning themselves on and off

Old 12-22-04, 04:25 PM
The Uncle
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fans keep turning themselves on and off

I recently installed three Hunter Ceiling Fans in my townhouse. The fans came with an intergrated remote controls, and integrated florscent lights.

The receiver in the base of the fan has 4 dip switches, allowing me to choose the frequency to which the fans will response (so that the remote in one room will not trigger the fan in the other room). The remotes are working fine, but the fans are turning themselves on and off! In one particularly problematic incident, my painter was laying a plastic tarp over furniture and the fan turned itself on and swallowed the tarp! I've come home after work to find the fans on, or the lights on.

It may be the case that there is inteference happening with some other wireless device (perhaps something being used by one of my neighbors). But, I've never seen a case before where inteference had this dramatic an impact on the functioning of a remote controlled device. I'm going to try altering the dip switches again (although I didn't have much work getting this to work before). But, I'm at a loss as to what else to do.

Has anybody else had this problem or know of any potential solutions?

Old 12-22-04, 06:23 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ask your neighbors if they have remote controlled ceilings fans. I know that I can take my remote out on the street in front of my house and still control the fan from there.

Another possibility is that somebody is sitting on the remote transmitter or that it is wedged in a seat cushion.

Another possibility is that somebody is flicking off and on the wall switch, which does different things to different fans.

Are all three fans doing it, or just a subset of them?

Old 12-22-04, 06:54 PM
The Uncle
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Ask your neighbors if they have remote controlled ceilings fans. I know that I can take my remote out on the street in front of my house and still control the fan from there.

Another possibility is that somebody is sitting on the remote transmitter or that it is wedged in a seat cushion.

Another possibility is that somebody is flicking off and on the wall switch, which does different things to different fans.

Are all three fans doing it, or just a subset of them?
I'm sure it is not a switch being thrown, or anything like that. I live alone. I always by myself in the house when it happens, and the remote stays attached to the wall.

In my downstairs office, I'll be sitting working on my computer and the light will just turn itself off. Sometimes, the fan will spontaneously start going as well.

Upstairs, the problem is mostly the dome light turning itself on (which is annoying as heck when you are trying to sleep).

Two of the three fans are doing it. One of the three hasn't had any trouble at all, although I use that one a lot less.

Any ideas?

I doubt it is my neighor with a similar remote because each fan uses a different frequency. But, I've wondered if some other signal in the complex (like cordless phones, wireless DSL networks) could cause the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: