Yet another 3-way switch quandary

Old 01-03-05, 09:58 AM
jbrowning
Visiting Guest
Question Yet another 3-way switch quandary

Hi,
I'm replacing an existing three way switch with a new one rated for halogen lighting with low voltage transformers.
In the existing switch box, i have three wires: black, red and white.
The new dimmer switch has black, red, white, yellow, green wires, of which the instructions say to connect all of them in a 3-way application.
Do I simply cap the yellow wire, and connect black to black (live) white to white(neutral) and red to red (load), green to box ground?
Also, is there any concern about using a low voltage rated dimmer with incandescent lighting? My application has low voltage recessed halogens and and incandescent on the same circuit.
Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-05, 11:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Apparently this switch requires a neutral connection and you have no neutral wire in the box. Please tell us more about the switch, including make and model. Is the transformer upstream or downstream or inside the dimmer?

Old 01-04-05, 07:13 AM
jbrowning
Visiting Guest
[Quote}:Apparently this switch requires a neutral connection and you have no neutral wire in the box. Please tell us more about the switch, including make and model. Is the transformer upstream or downstream or inside the dimmer?

Hi,
The dimmer is a commercial electric/ home depot #202-743, and is specifically for dimming low voltage lighting. The transformers are part of each recessed light and thus would be downstream....
thanks