clear wires in new fixtue

Old 01-05-05, 09:32 AM
crdavis23
Visiting Guest
clear wires in new fixtue

I had a question I was hoping to clairify before instaling a recently purchased ceiling fixture.

The light is a Hampton Bay Chandelier and the intersting thing I discovered is that the wiring has no "black" and "white" wire. Now this would be ok if, as the directions indicated there was a "flat" or "ribbed" wire. However, what this has is wiring that looks incredibly like speaker wire. Both wires have clear insulation wrapped around many small wires acting as one, just as speaker wires. Also the wires insulation covers are attached, as with speaker wires.

I assume that this is done so that the wires look good as the weave through the chain links. However, could someone please help me to determine which wire is "hot" and which is "neutral"?

Old 01-05-05, 10:48 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The wire you have is just a fancy lamp cord. If you feel the edge of the cord, you will notice a slight rib on one side (the other side is smooth and rounded). The ribbed side is the neutral (white). If you know how to use a continuity tester, the ribbed wire should be continuous with the fixture socket "shells", and the smooth wire should be continuous with the small tab in the bottom of the sockets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: