Lighting Problem, need assistance...

Old 01-17-05, 01:55 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lighting Problem, need assistance...

Hello,

I have a problem with a few light fixtures. I have an outdoor porch light and an indoor foyer light. They are wired to the same switch. I would like to separate them. When I removed the switch I saw four wires, two black, two white.

It looks to me like one set (b/w) of wires is from the power source and the other set goes to the lights for power when the switch is flipped to "on". If that is the case what would I need to do to separate the on/off functions for the two light fixtures?

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks...
- Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-05, 05:34 PM
J
Received 264 Votes on 229 Posts
You need to bring a new cable from one of the lights into the switch box and install a duplex switch.

Old 01-17-05, 07:20 PM
E
How would ecerything be connected? And what are the four wires for already in the box? Is one set hot, and the other for switching the lights on and off?

Thanks...

Old 01-17-05, 07:50 PM
T
In the switch box one set of blk/wht wires brings power to use. The other set appear to go to the first light and then to the second light-they are wired in series. To switch them independantly you need to bring another cable to the switch box and use a duplex switch. You can run the cable from either light location, it's just a matter of how you rewire it after.

To do this look at the wiring at each light. The fixture that has 2 blk/wht wires is the first one wired, and then the ckt continues to the second light which should only have one blk/wht. Decide which location will be the easiest to run a new cable back to the switch.

If you need more help just post back when you know the above.