Ceiling fan wiring question

Old 01-25-05, 06:38 PM
houstangman2003
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fan wiring question

I am installing a Hampton Bay fan w/ lighting in my living room. There is a seperate dial next to the lighting switch to control the fan speed. My question is this..

In the ceiling there are 3 wires, white, black, and red, the copper ground is present also. On my fan I have white, black, green, and blue wires. The mounting brace also has a green wire attached to it. What wires do I connect? Thanks for any help

Old 01-25-05, 06:51 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Give us more information about the switch(es). Did a special wall-switch come with the fan? If so, does the switch have a model number and/or installation instructions? Of did the switch(es) predate the fan? If so, what did they control before?

Pretty soon now we're going to need you to describe all the wiring in the switch box.

Old 01-25-05, 07:05 PM
houstangman2003
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Give us more information about the switch(es). Did a special wall-switch come with the fan? If so, does the switch have a model number and/or installation instructions? Of did the switch(es) predate the fan? If so, what did they control before?

Pretty soon now we're going to need you to describe all the wiring in the switch box.

I live in an apartment complex and the switch and all wiring was here when I moved in. The person living here before me took their own ceiling fan with them. I had this fan in another apartment here in the same complex connected to the same style switch, so I believe the wiring would be the same. What info would you need me to locate?

Old 01-25-05, 07:16 PM
J
The "standard" wiring would be to connect:
(1) black from the fan to black from the ceiling.
(2) blue from the fan to red from the ceiling.
(3) white from the fan to white from the ceiling.
(4) green from the fan to bare from the ceiling and green from the mounting bracket.

Connect it this way and then test.

I still need to know more about the switch(es). Are there two separate switches, one with a normal lever and one with a rotating dial? Does the dial rotate continuously, or does it "click" into four positions? If it clicks, are the stops labeled (such as high, medium, low, off)? Why do you assume that the dial is for the fan and the switch for the lights instead of the other way around?

Old 01-25-05, 07:29 PM
houstangman2003
Visiting Guest
The "standard" wiring would be to connect:
(1) black from the fan to black from the ceiling.
(2) blue from the fan to red from the ceiling.
(3) white from the fan to white from the ceiling.
(4) green from the fan to bare from the ceiling and green from the mounting bracket.

Connect it this way and then test.

I still need to know more about the switch(es). Are there two separate switches, one with a normal lever and one with a rotating dial? Does the dial rotate continuously, or does it "click" into four positions? If it clicks, are the stops labeled (such as high, medium, low, off)? Why do you assume that the dial is for the fan and the switch for the lights instead of the other way around?

Its the type with a 5 position dial.It actually goes from off, low, medium, high then off again, but doesnt fully rotate. The dial is on the left and the lever is on the right on the same "piece".. In our bedroom we have the same set-up and the 5 position dial works the speeds of the fan, and the lever works the lights. Also when we lived in another apartment in this complex, it had the same set-up. Thanks for the help

Old 01-25-05, 07:34 PM
J
So connect it up as I said. Then test the toggle switch (not the dial). If you find that the toggle switch turns on the fan blades instead of the fan lights, then you need to shut off the breaker again and reverse the black and blue wires from the fan (i.e., black from fan to red from ceiling, and blue from fan to black from ceiling).

Old 01-25-05, 08:36 PM
houstangman2003
Visiting Guest
So connect it up as I said. Then test the toggle switch (not the dial). If you find that the toggle switch turns on the fan blades instead of the fan lights, then you need to shut off the breaker again and reverse the black and blue wires from the fan (i.e., black from fan to red from ceiling, and blue from fan to black from ceiling).
okay I have one more quick question. As far as where to place the wiring when it it completed, all I need to do is make sure the connections are secure and covered (I have the plastic twist ons) correct?

Also when I am mounting the fan. where does the hook attach to the fan while I am attaching the wires? Obviously I am not too great with electrical terminology but hopefully you know what I mean

and as far as the circuit breaker, does that need to be off, or do I just make sure the power swtices are both off?

Old 01-26-05, 06:40 AM
J
Yes, all connections should be made with wire nuts. Make sure the wiring nuts are on very, very tightly, and that no bare wire protrudes.

All fans provide some way to support the weight of the fan while making the electrical connections. It's different for each fan. Follow the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Never, ever, ever trust a wall switch to disconnect power. Always, always turn off the circuit breaker for anything you are working on. Even then, test the wires before touching them.

Old 01-26-05, 02:48 PM
houstangman2003
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much John. I have the fan installed and it is working perfectly. You should get paid for this

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: