Outside Lighting

Old 01-27-05, 06:38 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside Lighting

First, I would like to place a sub panel on the back side of my house on the porch to run sprinklers, low voltage lighting, gate operator and the driveway lights.
If my utility pole has the main panel under the meter and it runs into the house to a sub panel, is it still possible to run a second sub panel from the main panel?

Second, I want to run two post lights (40w) down my driveway with plug outlets at each post and two (40w) wall lights at my front gate. The distance to where I want to place the sub panel to the gate is approximately 300ft. What size wire and breaker would be prefered?

Third, I have a Mule Gate Operator on the gate that runs off DC from a battery or tranformer. So, same distance.... what size wire and breaker should I use?

Thanks in advance
Darren

Old 01-27-05, 07:00 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
(1) Yes.

(2) Depends on what you might want to plug into those receptacles and how many watts it needs.

(3) Depends on how many watts it uses.

Old 01-27-05, 09:48 PM
C
Originally Posted by ddeblance
First, I would like to place a sub panel on the back side of my house on the porch to run sprinklers, low voltage lighting, gate operator and the driveway lights.
From what you describe, you only need one or two circuits.

Why go to the expense of a sub-panel?

Old 01-28-05, 06:40 AM
D
Cheyenps, this is my set up. My utility pole has the meter and a main panel located at one end of the house. My driveway is on the other end of my house which puts them 85ft apart. My idea it that running anther line to a sub panel to the back porch, aproximately the middle of the house, will make it easier to run other electrical devices in the future. Like sprinkler system, low voltage lanscape lighting and deck lighting. Without having to dig up the yard between the main panel and the house. I live in a mobile home which means the utility pole sits around 10 to 15ft from the house. Most people have the panel on the side of the house, which I think would make running electrical around the outside much easier.
But I'm looking you ya'lls ideas!!

As for the outlets on the light posts..... I wouldn't run nothing more than Christmas lights or occasionally an airless paint sprayer....
I was thinking four 40w lights w/ three outlets. #10 on a 20amp GFI.

The gate operator is DC and runs on a solar panel and battery. But the battery doesn't stay charged on overcast days. So if I run #12 on a 15amp GFI to an outlet and use the transformer that came with the kit, would that do it????

Thanks for the HELP!!!!!

Old 01-28-05, 07:02 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You didn't use the word "watts" to describe any of your loads. So I'll just give you general information and you can make your own decision. All these numbers are based on 300 feet. But of course, you already have 85 feet in front of that to your subpanel. We would normally allow a maximum of 2% voltage drop for the 85-foot feeder, and another 3% for the 300-foot branch circuit. So to limit the voltage drop to 3%, you need:

#14 copper for up to 1.9 amps (228 watts).
#12 copper for up to 3 amps (360 watts)
#10 copper for up to 4.8 amps (576 watts)
#8 copper for up to 7.6 amps (912 watts)
#6 copper for up to 12.3 amps (1476 watts)
#4 copper for up to 19.5 amps (2340 watts)

That airless paint sprayer will be expensive to operate. 300 feet is a long ways to run residential power.

Old 01-28-05, 06:50 PM
C
Why not just connect in to the panel in the house?

You can run underneath it and come out anywhere you like. One 20A circuit should do it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: