Recessed Lighting with Kraft faced Insulation

Old 01-28-05, 02:02 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recessed Lighting with Kraft faced Insulation

I want to install recessed lighting in a basement remodel. As sound dampening I used kraft faced insulation in the ceiling. The recessed lighting cans are type-IC. My question, is it OK to let the recessed lighting can touch the kraft face of the insulation batt or is this a fire hazzard? The instructions say it is OK for the can to touch the insulation but said nothing about the kraft face. Being paper is concerning to me. Thanks

Old 01-28-05, 05:35 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't think it's a good idea to let the can touch the paper. But I don't think you should have used faced insulation between floors either. Either take the paper off the insulation, replace it with unfaced insulation, or turn the insulation upside down so that the paper doesn't touch the can.

Old 02-01-05, 09:26 AM
R
Question

Thanks for the reply. It helps. On the comments about the insulation... I thought it was common practice to use Kraft faced insulation for sound proofing. I do not have any combustible appliances in this part of the basement such as furnace or water heater. Can you, or anyone, expand on this so I can understand. Thanks and appreciated.

Old 02-01-05, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Rockyroad,
I am not an expert in insulating but I believe what is being said is because of trapping moisture. The facing on insulation always goes on the heated side. Since you have 2 "heated sides (upstairs and basement)" the probability of creating condensation is greater. Might want to post that question in Insulation Forum. Good luck.

Old 02-04-05, 07:06 AM
N
I Have The Same Dilemna, Faced Or Not Faced Insullation If Basement Is Heated. Also Have Recessed Lighting Being Installed This Weekend.

Old 02-09-05, 03:39 PM
R
Wink

Cooper lighting finally got back with me. They make Halo recessed lighting. They said from a fire hazard perspective there was no danger.

From a moisture build up it my depend somewhat on the climate you live in. I live in a very dry, desert location so getting moisture is difficult.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-05, 10:29 AM
N
thanks i guess ill put kraft down like some people told me todo, since im doing it for soudproofing more than anything else it dsnt matter to much

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: