Hunter Fan Light On after Power Outage

Old 01-29-05, 10:29 AM
biking_brian
Visiting Guest

I bought a Hunter Rosemont ceiling fan (23457) a while back. It came with a light kit, remote, and receiver in the box.

A peculiar thing I noticed is when power is restored after a power outage, the fan light comes on, regardless of whether the light was on or off before the outage. I'm not sure if this is by design or a fluke. Normally, this would just be a minor annoyance, but is it in a weekend vacation cabin that is normally unattended during the week. One Friday night last spring I came up to the cabin, and the living room was infested with Miller moths, which had been attracted to the fan light. (VCR was blinking, so I know there was a power outage......)

I'm trying to think of a way to fix this, short of hardwiring a switch or turning it off at the breaker. One solution I was comtemplating was replacing the remote and receiver with an aftermarket remote and receiver, although I'm not sure if this will work. I'm not sure whether my receiver is integral to the fan, though. Also, my current remote has a reverse button, which I don't see on any aftermarket remotes. I don't recall if the body of the fan has a reverse switch.

Any suggestions?

Brian

P.S. Anyone have problems with Hunter fan blades warping? They sent me replacements free of charge, which looked fine out of the box, but they started warping also after they had been installed for a while. As a result, I can't get the fan completely balanced, so I can't run the fan on high speed without excessive wobble.

Old 01-29-05, 02:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hunter makes remotes that work both ways. You just need to look at the default behavior when the power comes on. You have "fan-off/light-on" default behavior. I actually prefer that and go out of my way to get that behavior. That's so that I can always turn on the light (if necessary by flipping the wall switch off and then back on again) when I can't find the remote (because the room is dark).

Other remotes have a "fan-off/light-off" default behavior.

If you have the fan-off/light-on default, all you need to do to make sure it doesn't come on while you are away is to turn off the light switch (or breaker if you have no wall switch) when you leave. Or if you can't quite remember to do that, go buy a remote with a fan-off/light-off default behavior. You can buy a Hunter remote to do this, or another brand. Call Hunter's customer services number to find out exactly what you need. Note that the fan speeds may be a little different with different remote receivers.

Hunter's customer service is top notch. If you have any problems, call them. They will do everything in their power to make it right. (No, I don't work for Hunter and I don't own any of their stock and I don't even know anybody who does either.)

Old 01-31-05, 11:48 AM
biking_brian
Visiting Guest

I called Hunter and apparently all of their remotes have the "fan off, light on" setup. Anyone know of any remotes for other brands that are setup for "fan off, light off"?

Thanks,
Brian

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: