old house - no junction box

Old 02-12-05, 12:48 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old house - no junction box

I am replacing a ceiling fixture and there of course is no junction box. The old fixture was screwed directly into the ceiling. The ceiling is plaster and I don't know how they got the old fixture up, but I can't get screws into the plaster to put up the mounting strip, without it crumbling. Any suggestions? (other than putting in a junction box).

So much for my Saturday afternoon project. LOL

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-12-05, 02:04 PM
J
I don't have any suggestions (other than putting in a junction box). Why is it that you have ruled out the only reasonable solution?

Old 02-12-05, 02:55 PM
N
I ruled out the junction box because I have no idea what I'm doing, and changing out the fixture was simple enough. But putting in a box is probably beyond my realm.

Oh well, I will figure something out.

Thanks for listening!

Old 02-12-05, 04:31 PM
J
Go to your local home center and visit the fan department. Ask to see a fan brace kit. Read the instructions and see if you think you could do that.

Old 02-12-05, 04:36 PM
N
Okay John! Thanks, I'll check that out! I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 02-16-05, 01:46 PM
noguru,

They are simple really....get the retro type that are for existing installs and you will see a model that allows you to simply CUT the box size into the ceiling so you have a open space...then it slides in and you adjust it until it tightens up to the ceiling joists....then you can mount the box that is in the kit on that....

Like john said.......the kits for retro-fitting have about everything you need to know in with it....

I do suggest you pick up a keyhole saw as well to cut the opening in the ceiling and at best maybe a stud finder to check on the joist layout to make sure you are not cutting right into a JOIST......but in that case a wrap around fan box will work also........but post back with what you find out...stud finders are CHEAP.

Old 02-17-05, 08:52 PM
N
Tell me Electricalman, do the new stud finders work any better, or are they any easier to read than the old stud finders (the ones that look like pencil sharpeners)? It seems to me like it would be worth the investment, but I thought I'd ask you. What do you think?

Old 02-18-05, 06:32 PM
N
So, I went to Lowe's and was looking at the fan brace kits and a gentleman who worked there was helping me and he showed me a box that you tighten the screws on and it extends flaps above the ceiling to hold it in place. This looked a lot simpler to me so I bought that. Is there any reason NOT to do it that way? It's just a hallway light fixture. I'll never need a fan or anything more than that in my little hallway.

I look forward to hearing from someone on this.

Old 02-18-05, 10:23 PM
J
If it will hold the weight, it's fine. That depends on the weight of the fixture and the integrity of the plaster. It's a judgement call and you'll have to go with your gut.

Old 02-19-05, 02:36 PM
N
A new problem on this project. Both wires coming out of the ceiling (which the wiring is the old really heavy duty stuff) have black covering. If I hook this up wrong, the worst that will happen is it will trip the breaker, right?

Old 02-19-05, 07:32 PM
J
Received 294 Votes on 253 Posts
The worst that can happen is a safety hazard. In a correct setup the hot wire goes to the bottom of the light bolb socket. If the wires are reversed the shel is live and could be a shock hazard when changeing the bulb with the power on.
But then you didn't say this had a light kit so then there is not a real hazard.

Old 02-19-05, 10:32 PM
J
Visit your home center and spend $15 on a voltage "tick" tester. It will allow you to figure out which wire is the hot one.

Old 02-20-05, 02:26 PM
N
Success! I now have a working light in my hallway!

Thanks to everyone for all the great help!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: