dusk to dawn light off/on every 5 minutes

Old 02-14-05, 07:16 AM
tdejong
Visiting Guest
dusk to dawn light off/on every 5 minutes

Recently install new dusk to dawn light. It turns on great but shuts off after about 5 minutes and then turns right back on after setting for about 1 minute. Repeats this cycle. Sometimes stays on longer. I installed it about 1 ft. from the overhang of the house. Is it possible that the light is reading the white overhand and shutting off. I have tried spot/flood lights 45w so I don't think its lights or overheating. Tried pointing lights in away from overhang and sensor. Carport light on same line works great. There is no insulation that could be causing overheating.

Old 02-14-05, 09:20 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It does sound like somehow the light is reflecting back onto the sensor. You might need to experiment with various positionings of the light.

Old 02-14-05, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
check also if there any plants around that might affect the sensor
mine goes on when the leaf from our tree move

Old 02-14-05, 03:15 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Certainly sounds as if light from the fixture is reaching the sensor. You could try taking a piece of black/dark paper and taping it to the facing adjacent to the sensor. The light from the fixture won't reflect off the black paper. If that fixes the problem then make the fix permanent by applying some black paint to the facing adjacent to the sensor (where the black paper was located).

Old 02-14-05, 03:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
You didn't say what type of fixture it is. Isthis fixture a high pressure sodium or metal halide type or is it incandescent?

HPS and metal halide both have a ballast in them that can overheat and will cycle on and off.

Old 02-14-05, 08:22 PM
tdejong
Visiting Guest
Da

I guess I could have put tape over the eye sensor to see if it was reflecting back on it self and shutting off. Sometimes I feel Blonde. The light isn't like a big dusk/dawn light that you see commercially or one that has the round sensor on the top it takes a regular light or flood light that you see inside homes/garages. I appreciate all of the responses to this darn delimma. Pretty frustrating when you can 't figure why it does what it does. Be easier if it wouldn't turn on at all. I will put tape over the light when I go out in the morning. If that takes care of it shutting on/off I know its reflecting back on itself.

Old 02-15-05, 10:52 AM
tdejong
Visiting Guest
Fixed hopefully

I put tape over the eye/sensor and the light worked great. So it was reflecting off of the overhang and shutting itself off. I solved the problem (hopefully) by angling the light slightly towards the ground. I also angled the light more down and away from the overhang. I think the problem is fixed. Thanks for your input. Great forum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: