Can flood lights be wired to attach to a outside porch light? How?

Old 02-19-05, 07:05 PM
teacher1
Visiting Guest
Can flood lights be wired to attach to a outside porch light? How?

I'd like to install two flood lights to the corners of my backyard patio. I have one porch light on the wall outside of the sliding patio door. Can I run wiring from the porch light to two corners of the patio roof and still have my porch light? The porch light is controlled by a light switch in the kitchen.

Old 02-19-05, 09:15 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, certainly. The depends on how you want it to work and how it is currently wired. Do you want the new flood lights to be controlled by the same switch that is currently controlling the porch light?

Old 02-20-05, 06:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Teacher1,

To elaborate on Johns comments, yes you can do this either way as you can place a Tandom Switch in the same socket and use one for the porch light and one for the flood lights.....Or you can just wire the FLOOD hot all the time and place it on a photo cell or motion sensor as well if you wish....Personally I would go with the tandom switch in the box....

We will assume you have a constant hot and neutral at the switch because......well...because it just should be...lol...no electrician in their right mind would do a switch leg on a porch light...lol...anyway you should be fine...

The question is.....how easy is it to get the line from the switch up into the attic and to the area you want the flood to be....that would be a tougher question...lol....so if you solve that then the WILL THE SWITCH work is the easy task.....good luck...let us know how it goes...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: