Dimmer not working on new chandelier

Old 02-20-05, 07:19 AM
RichieB
Visiting Guest
Dimmer not working on new chandelier

Greetings,

I installed a new 16-bulb chandelier in replacement of a previously installed 8-bulb chandelier. The dimmer switch worked fine on the old fixture but is only turning the new fixutre ON and OFF. The wiring for the two chandeliers is the same, two neutral-colored coated wires and a ground wire. I tried switching the two neutral-colored wire conections with the two ceiling wires (one black, one white) without any change in dimmer performance.

What am I missing here?

Sincerely,
RichieB

Old 02-20-05, 05:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You may have fried your dimmer, especially if anything unusual (like sparks or a breaker tripping) occurred during the installation.

Old 02-20-05, 05:54 PM
RichieB
Visiting Guest
Breaker was turned off during installation. No sparks or unusual occurrences when breaker was turned on.

I will replace the dimmer unit in an attempt to remedy the problem. It is a knob-type dimmer, so I understand they are fairly easy to replace.

You assistance is greatly appreciated.

RichieB

Old 02-21-05, 12:25 AM
GaWd
Visiting Guest
Richie, those older knob-style dimmers can break and fail to work very easily. It can be something as simple as pushing the knob too hard to turn it off or just time and dirt gumming up the contacts.

Sam

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: