Lighting in Garage Options

Old 02-27-05, 03:08 PM
jhawk4ever
Visiting Guest
Lighting in Garage Options

I was hoping for some advice from those experts out there. I have a double garage that has only 1 light bulb to light the garage.

The garage walls have drywall, but the ceiling is open joists. The ceiling lights and garage outets are on a 20 single pole breaker.

There are 5 outlets (two overhead for the garage door openers and 3 on the wall in the garage)

I was reading other posts, some say the newer T8 florecens tubes are good. I was wondering what would be the best way to light up the garage a tad more, it is probably around 400-450 square feet.

The light bulb in the garage is currently connected to only a single light switch (no 2-way or 3-way)

Should I use hanging shop lights and just add a box, then add a piece of 12 guage wire to add another?

Should I use pot lights?

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful

Thanks.

Old 02-27-05, 04:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Buy a few $10 shop lights and hang them from the joists. Run new 12/2 cable from the existing light to new receptacles mounted to the joists. You can then plug your new shop lights into these ceiling receptacles.

Old 03-01-05, 03:34 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your lighting requirements really depend on what you're doing in there. A mix of lighting types will cost the least for the fullest spectrum. I have fluorescent on the ceiling for raw light, incandescent around the walls to fill in the colour and pry out the shadows, and then a 500watt halogen over the main work area providing almost surgical illumination more like natural daylight. The run between boxes was largely determined by the length of used cables I had to recycle.

So what will *you* use the garage for?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: