bathroom light

Old 03-03-05, 07:44 PM
stellabard
Visiting Guest
Question bathroom light

i just bought an 80 yr old house with old wires. I replaced a light switch in the bathroom and seems to work, or does it? My meter reads power at the end of the wire when the switch is on and nothing when off, sounds good right, not exactly. New fixture when hooked up is not working, it could be something easy but i am lost. i grounded the light to the junction box, and still nothing. any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-05, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Details please. How many wires in the box (any box you touched), what color are they, and how are they connected?

Old 03-03-05, 07:58 PM
stellabard
Visiting Guest
bathroom light

the wire is so old colors are impossible, but there r only 2 so blk and white.when i check with the tester. it shows power on both but not together. one tester goes to wire the other to ground it shows hot, same with the other, but nothing when touched together? tthere r only 2 , blk and white that come from the light and i tried both ways.

Old 03-03-05, 08:07 PM
I'm confused. Did you replace both the switch and the fixture? Where did you just describe the wiring, at the switch or at the fixture?

Old 03-03-05, 08:10 PM
stellabard
Visiting Guest
bathroom light

that description is at the fixture, but i did replace the switch also.

Old 03-03-05, 08:16 PM
Same details for the switch please.

Old 03-04-05, 05:27 PM
stellabard
Visiting Guest
bathroom light

the switch is a switch with a recepticle under it. i think three lines into the box. one main power in one to light fixture not sure where third goes, how does that get hooked up

Old 03-05-05, 08:50 AM
How is it hooked up now?

Normally when you have three cables into a switch box, one is the power feed, one is the switch leg, and one is carrying unswitched power downstream somewhere. All three white wires connect togther. The incoming and outgoing black wire connect to one screw on the switch (using a pigtail), and the switch leg black goes to the other screw.