New Chandelier- the light come on but the switch won't work?

Old 03-10-05, 08:34 PM
kjjmolo
Visiting Guest
New Chandelier- the light come on but the switch won't work?

Here's the situation:
2 big wrapped wires coming into the box:
-one has three wires (white balck and Red)
-The other wrapped wire has black and white wires.

So I have a total of 5 whites where I hooked up the chandelier. Two white s are wrapped together, two blacks are wrapped together, the red is separate.

I attached the wire from the chandelier to the black and white respectively. I left the red separate. The light came on when I turned the circuit back on. However, I could not turn the light off with the switch. The switch had no effect.

I then tried different combinations by placing the lone red wire in with the black wires and then the white wires. Each time, when I turned on the circuit breaker, the light came on, but I could not turn it on or off at the wall switch. What Am I doing wrong? Why won’t the switch work on the new chandelier when the old chandelier also had just two wires presumably attached to the same white and black wires in the box??? -- and what is the darn red wire for????

Please help!

Old 03-10-05, 09:38 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
presumably attached to the same white and black wires
"Presumably" is a dangerous word.

Black from the chandelier must attach to the red from the ceiling. The two black wires from the ceiling attach to each other, but not to your chandelier. The white from the chandelier attaches to both white wires from the ceiling.

Old 03-12-05, 05:06 AM
kjjmolo
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for the help. However, it did not work. What about attaching the chandelier to the black and the red? When I turn the power on, the red is not hot either. So the white and red are not hot. Would it be OK to attach the chandelier to the red instead of the white and then to the black? thanks again for looking at this,

Old 03-12-05, 08:23 AM
J
This should have worked. Did you touch the wiring at the switch at all?

Please describe all the wiring in the switch box.

Old 03-13-05, 05:25 AM
kjjmolo
Visiting Guest
No, I NEVer touch the wiring at the switch. I just took down the old chandelier, and put in the new one and we had power, but the switch would not work. AS I mentioned, I went back and attached the chandelier to the white from the ceing and the red...but then had no power. Going crazy. I can look at the switch, but we never touched it and the existing wiring in the ceiling ran the old chandelier from the switch...can't figure what's wrong???

Old 03-13-05, 11:35 AM
J
Make sure you followed all my instructions. The two black wires in the ceiling box must be connected to each other, and the white wire from the chandelier must be connected to both white wires from the ceiling.

If you're sure you did this all correctly, then you will need to describe the switch wiring to me.

Old 03-19-05, 01:53 PM
kjjmolo
Visiting Guest
Followed your instructions to a tee. The chandelier wire is merely a brown wire with two sides -- there is no white and black. It looks like the type of wite you would have on any table lamp or clock radio.

I did what you said and I attached the chandelier to the white and the red. This gave me no power to the light (when I attach the chandelier to the black and either the white or red, I have power but the switch won't turn the light off).

I looked in the swithch. It is a relatively new dimmer switch. There is a single red and a single back pushed into the recepticles at the back of the switch. Coming into the housing for the switch (identical to the ceiling box) are five wires: one wire holds black, white and red, the other wire holds black and white. the two blacks are hooked together and there is another black coming off those two that are tied off and it runs into the switch. The red goes directly into the switch. The whites from the respective wires into the switch box are tied together and do not touch the switch.

This problem is driving me crazy!!! I cannot figure what combination of white, black, red and chandelier make the power come on and the switch work.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-19-05, 02:29 PM
J
The two wires from the chandelier are not identical. One has a tiny stripe or rib on it, and the other is smooth. The striped/ribbed one is the neutral, and the smooth one is the hot. Mixing them up isn't your current problem, and it won't affect the operation of the light, but it does affect the safety of the installation.

It's very easy to fry a dimmer switch, especially if you ever short it out. I always recommend that when trying to get a new fixture to work that you should first get it to work with a regular switch before swapping it for the dimmer. So I suggest you get a regular single-pole switch. Connect this to the same two wires that the dimmer is currently connected to. There's a good chance that your dimmer is toast.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: