X-10 Lighting With A 4 Way Switch

Old 03-14-05, 07:33 PM
tpinfo4
Visiting Guest
X-10 Lighting With A 4 Way Switch

I have an X10 dimmer module that I just got. I am currently replacing a 4 way switch. The current 4 way switch has 4 total wires. 2 wires go into the input and the other 2 go into the output. The X-10 module has 3 wires. How do I know where the 4 wires to the X-10 module go? The new X-10 module has 3 wires labeled LINE, LOAD and SLAVE/COMPANION SWITCH. I also ordered 2 more X-10 companion module for the other 2 switches for a total of 3 switches. They are labeled LIVE, LIVE and SWITCH. I would really appreciate any help as I am new to this. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-05, 08:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I really don't know that much about X-10. Do the instructions that come with this particular switch say that it can replace a 4-way switch? Frankly it doesn't seem like what you're attempting is possible, but as I say, I'm no X-10 expert.

Old 03-14-05, 08:25 PM
tpinfo4
Visiting Guest
Here is a link of my product. Thanks.

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/Lig.../Item/XPD3-WI/

Old 03-15-05, 11:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The X-10 switches work a little differently than traditional multiway switches. First, where the remote (slave) switches go, you must have a hot and a neutral. Some older homes do not have a neutral at all switch boxes, so you may need to pull one there. Instead of having two travelers, there is a single slave line. You would wire the main switch like a normal switch with hot and neutral going to there respective points. Load goes to the fixture, and slave would use one of the travelers to one of the old slave three way switches. At the slave location, you would wire hot and neutral to the slave switch, and the traveler comming from the main switch to the slave on the slave switch and to the traveler to the next slave switch.

Hope this helps.