Selecting and installing overhead lighting

Old 03-21-05, 10:55 PM
gwenwyn
Visiting Guest
Selecting and installing overhead lighting

I moved into my new place a few months ago, and during the time I've been here I've realized that the lack of overhead lighting is more than a little bit annoying. I've been looking at various types of lighting at home improvement type stores, but have realized that what I end up buying really depends on how much installation will cost.

Since I have no desire to set myself aflame, I'm going to opt to get them professionally installed. How do I find an electrician? Just randomly open the phonebook and dial? Or is there a better way? Approx. how much can I expect to spend to get overhead lighting installed in a room that previously had none? I'm feeling very clueless about all this.

Also, is there anything I should know when selecting an overhead fan? The rooms where I'd like fans are fairly small bedrooms. How do I gauge what fan size would work best?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-05, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The best way to find an electrician is by asking your friends and associates for recommendations.

What it costs is very dependent on the rates where you live and the complexity of your situation. E.g., installing a ceiling light in a room with an accessible attic over it is a lot simpler than installing a ceiling light in a room with another room above it. Electrical work in Salina is a lot cheaper than electrical work in Boston.

Old 03-23-05, 08:10 PM
gwenwyn
Visiting Guest
A little more specific?

Thanks for your response! I know that costs vary by location and complexity, but I can't find any resources that even give me a ballpark. All I want to know is whether what I'm going to have to shell out is in the dozens of dollars range v. hundreds of dollars v. thousands of dollars...

After I have an idea of how much I'm going to have to budget, I can do things like think about what style of lighting, and where I want to look for contractors...

Thanks!

Old 03-23-05, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not dozens. Not thousands. Hundreds. Of course, in addition to the labor, the cost will depend on whether you want the $50 fan or the $500 fan.