Red wire in dimmer switch?

Old 03-28-05, 02:57 PM
rward
Visiting Guest
Red wire in dimmer switch?

I'm using a Leviton dimmer switch on some track lighting. The directions that came with the switch have thrown me. There is one each black, green, and red wires coming out of the back of the switch. The diagram and schematic in the directions contradict on what the red and black wires hook up to. Can anyone comment on which one hooks up to the hot feed and which one provides the feed to the lights. Thanks much.

RW

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-05, 05:09 PM
Received 85 Votes on 78 Posts
If there are only two wires I don't think it matters.

Old 03-29-05, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The black wire goes to the incoming hot wire and the red wire should go to the lights, thatís the way Iíve always done it anyway. But I think Joed is right, it probably doesnít matter.

Old 03-30-05, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Both Joe and Symbios are right. As Joe says, it shouldn't matter electrically. And what Symbios says is the conventional way of doing it.

Are you sure that this isn't a dimmer designed for either 3-way or single-pole operation, and thus might have one more wire than you mentioned?

Old 03-30-05, 10:23 AM
rward
Visiting Guest
Thanks John - You're right, it is a switch designed for single pole or 3-way. I have another thread going that you replied to about the bad wall switches. I think I may have fried them. Thanks for the help.

RW