Remodel Recessed Can--running wires in joists

Old 04-06-05, 06:20 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remodel Recessed Can--running wires in joists

I am installing recessed can in existing ceilings, and need to run wires through joists in some cases, rather than parallel. I have read that I should drill can holes first, then use a flexible drill bit to try and drill holes through joists in order to run the wires to each can. I have a plaster ceiling. Is this the best way, and if so, can you someone give me more specific details how to go about drilling the holes, i.e. what type of drill bit, etc. I fully understand wiring, securing cans, etc. Just getting through the joists in the ceiling is what I don't understand.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-05, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
Depending on how far you need to go it may be easier to cut a trench thru the plaster and drill your holes. Often times you will have wires stapled to the side of the joist that you will only find either by drilling into them or by being able to see them.Plumbing pipes can also screw you up.

Dversabits are a long bit about 4' long and will do what you want to do. You can also get into trouble as they are not the easiest to guide. I almost went thru a carpeted floor trying to do what you want to do.