replacement light stuffup

Old 04-07-05, 09:53 PM
aussiehasago
Visiting Guest
Question replacement light stuffup

I have just swapped a bulb light fitting with a downlight. When I turn the power back on the light works when the switch is off but when I switch the light off the fuse trips. Hmmm.

The before-I-fiddled setup had neutral/active/earth coming into the light fitting as well as leaving (going to the next light) but in addition had another white cable with just an active/neutral wires from it. I noticed the neutal on this cable went to its own screw on the old fitting but I have just bundled the 3 actives into the active terminal of the transformer; the 3 neutrals into the neutral terminal of the transformer and the 2 eatrhs I bound with electrical tape. (the transformer has only active & neutral terminals). WHere have I gone wrong?

Old 04-08-05, 07:32 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
These exact symptoms have been reported here a thousand times, and they always point to the same wiring mistake: you have a miswired switch loop.

You have two black wires and two white wires at the ceiling, and you connected all wires by matching color, right? This algorithm is wrong when a switch loop is used (even though it is what the fixture's instructions tell you to do).

And you have one black wire and one white wire at the switch, both of which are connected to the switch, right?

So now I want you to do two things: (1) Verify both of my guesses above, and (2) Tell me if you own any kind of electrical tester, and if so, exactly what it is?

We can solve this without an electrical tester if necessary, but it's easier if you have one.

One more thing: are you in Australia as your handle implies?

Old 04-08-05, 05:01 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Agree. You tried to fix a problem of a white and a black connected together and made a dead short.

Old 04-08-05, 05:10 PM
aussiehasago
Visiting Guest
THanks John & Joed. Yes I have created a short and I am in Australia. I left the light on all night. All assertions are correct John. Our colours are red (active) and black (neutral). I have a sparkies screwdriver tester (insulated with a small light). So how to fix? I am fully aware this is secret electricians business in oz so appreciate your info. I searched the forum for this problem but couldn't find an answer which made me certain I new EXACTLY what I was doing.

Last edited by aussiehasago; 04-08-05 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-08-05, 06:32 PM
aussiehasago
Visiting Guest
might have got it figured

HAve researched some more and this might be the way to go, but I'll wait for confirmation before I go ahead.
THe two ceiling loop black (neutral) wires should connect together but not to the transformer leading to the downlight. All 3 ceiling red (active) go into the transformer.[2 red from loop , 1 red from switch]. the black wire from switch goes into the transformer. Do I tape the 2 loop green/yellow (earth) together or tape separately? Someone said they dn't do anything in light circuits although they were connected to the old lightbulb. Its just the new transformer has only 2 terminals. I note its quite hard to get 3 wires into the little screw-down terminal hole. Have I got this correct?

Old 04-08-05, 11:48 PM
aussiehasago
Visiting Guest
Talking got it this time

Got it this time and it worked. Tried a second fitting and it worked there too. I connected the 2 red (active) loop wires to the red switch wire with a connector and bound it with tape. The 2 black (neutral) lop wires went to neutral in the transformer. The black (neutral) from the switch went to the active in the transformer. THe 2 green/yellow earth wires from the loop I joined together. Job done. THanks to all. Also discovered the lack of switch problems because I'm in the ceiling fan department.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: