remote switch

Old 04-13-05, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
remote switch

The light in our pool is controlled both from the filter location (outdoor) as well as from our kitchen, via a Leviton remote switch. All professionally installed when pool was installed and has worked fine for many years.
Now the light no longer turns on/off from the kitchen switch, but it can be turned on/off from the outside switch.
Can I assume the "sending" unit in the kitchen is at fault - or could it be the outside "receiving" switch, even tho that works manually.
These switches aren't cheap, so I'd rather not do trial and error. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 07:07 PM
I think that

the remote unit in the kitchen uses batteries...Have you replaced those already? I'm not trying to insult you, just wanted to make sure that we cover the easiest bases first!

Hope this helps!

Old 04-13-05, 08:15 PM
There's likely a battery in the kitchen switch. It probably needs replacing.

(I didn't see Desy's post until after I posted, but it's good to see that we're on the same wavelength.)

Old 04-14-05, 12:30 PM
no battery

I pulled the switch out. There's no place for a battey that I can see, and it has a label that says no internal parts are replaceable (or to that effect.) It's a Leviton #6319-1. It was installed about 9 or 10 years ago. Here is the description from the Leviton site:

Wall Mounted Controller - provides ON/OFF control for one address. For example, if address code A-1 is selected, the 6319-1 will transmit commands to A-1. Wires easily into any standard wall box using attached six-inch black and white leads. Up to four transmitters can be wired into a single branch circuit. Available in Ivory (-I) or White (-W), matching Decora wallplate included.
Rated: 120V 60Hz AC
Power Consumption: 2 Watts

Switch seems to go for around $80 - so I was really disapointed at not finding a battery. Back to my original question - how can I know if the problem is with sender or receiver?

Old 04-14-05, 07:50 PM
Sorry, I

thought this was one of their newer wireless type switches. Someone else might have a better idea, but I'm thinking this is one of those "which came first-the chicken or the egg" problems.

I don't know of any way to test the reciever without another remote. I don't know how to test the remote without another reciever...See what I mean? Maybe call Leviton customer service and see if they have any suggestions?

You can try following the directions and changing the code on both the remote and reciever, there might be some corrosion or dirt causing address problems.

If that doesn't work then you'll probably need a new reciever/remote set.

Sorry, hope this helps somewhat!