Please Help...Installing replacement remote control ceiling fan by Hunter

Old 04-17-05, 02:38 PM
gdclnfn
Visiting Guest
Question Please Help...Installing replacement remote control ceiling fan by Hunter

I'm replacing an older ceiling fan with a new Hunter model with wireless remote control. I am having trouble getting the light to work and believe I have wired it incorrectly.
The old fan was operated by a (dual) wall switch. One switch controlled the light, the other controlled the fan.
I would like to wire this fan so that it is "always on" where I can control it by the wireless remote without having to have both wall switches in the on position.
Out of the ceiling I have:
1 White
1 Red
1 Black
1 bare ground (green)
From the fan, I have:
1 White
1 Black
1 Green (ground)
Numerous other colored wires going to the "remote receiver."
The green/ground is self-explanatory, but I need assistance on the rest. I've tried several different connections and most of them power the fan just fine, but I am unable to get the light to power up.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Regards,
Rick

Old 04-17-05, 03:47 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since the fan only has three wires, the control for the light vs. motor is internal to the fan (perhaps in the remote receiver). If the fan works but not the light, then chances are that the light kit is not properly connected to the fan. Or perhaps the light's pull chain (if it has one) is in the "off" position and you need to pull the chain once. Or perhaps the lights are just dimmed all the way and appear off--usually you hold down the light button to get the lights to brighten up.

Did the fan have a separately installed box for the remote receiver that mounts up at the ceiling? Or is the remote receiver integrated into the fan?

Old 04-17-05, 05:03 PM
gdclnfn
Visiting Guest
RE: Help...Installing replacement remote control ceiling fan by Hunter

John - Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I went out and bought a cheap AC tester and found that I did have all the wires hooked up correctly, but I have a bad ballast for the flourescent light. So, back to Hunter I go for a new light kit. I just hope they don't make me return the entire fan as I certainly don't want to disassemble/reassemble/reinstall the entire fan again.
Thanks again for your help! I'm sure I will be using this great site again when I install my recessed lights in the kitchen!
Regards,
Rick

Old 04-17-05, 06:45 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hunter will promptly send you exactly the part your need. They have great customer service.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: