Basement Stair Lighting

Old 04-28-05, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Stair Lighting

I've got a 13-step stair down to the basement (which I am finishing right now). There is currently only one light in the stair area, which is located at the bottom of the stairs and can't really illuminate all the steps. I want to add one more light to the upper part of the stairs and would like to get some opinions. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-05, 05:43 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
install a light at the top of the stair and have both lights on a 3 way switch

Old 04-28-05, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by pgtek
hi
install a light at the top of the stair and have both lights on a 3 way switch
Thanks for you reply. The light at the bottom is already on a 3 way switch. I think I can just feed the second light from the first light. The ceiling is really just the back of the stairs from 1st floor to 2nd floor and I am afraid it will be difficult to run wire in that area.

I've seen some kind of "recessed wall light" in my neighbor's basement, which is mounted inside the side wall. I am not sure what's the official name for it and where to get it.

Old 04-28-05, 06:16 AM
If you are finishing the basement then won't you also be finishing the "The ceiling is really just the back of the stairs from 1st floor to 2nd floor"? Finishing the back of those stairs should allow you to install a light. With the basement ceiling not yet finished it should also be fairly easy to run a wire up the wall and out to the new light.

Old 04-28-05, 06:25 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention: that area was already drywalled along with both sides of the basement stair, when we moved in.

Originally Posted by racraft
If you are finishing the basement then won't you also be finishing the "The ceiling is really just the back of the stairs from 1st floor to 2nd floor"? Finishing the back of those stairs should allow you to install a light. With the basement ceiling not yet finished it should also be fairly easy to run a wire up the wall and out to the new light.

Old 04-28-05, 07:22 AM
Yes, but you should be able to quite easily snake a wire up the wall with no trouble.