New ceiling fan- help on wiring

Old 04-29-05, 02:01 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New ceiling fan- help on wiring

I have a new ceiling fan that I want to install. The ceiling box is pre-wired for ceiling fan. Ceiling box has purple, yellow, white wires. Fan has 3 wires: black, white, zebra (combo white & black). I plan on connecting white to white, purple to black, yellow to zebra wire. Am I right?

Currently, there is a single switch (on/off) on the wall that controls the ceiling box-- the 3 wires inside are: purple, yellow, red

For the Hunter fan/light control that I bought: there are 3 wires- blue, black, red

Should I connect the purple from wall to the blue Hunter fan/light control,
the yellow from wall to the red (Hunter fan/light control).
the red from wall to the black (hunter fan/light control)?

Do I still need to connect ground wire supplied with the fan to the ceiling box?

Thanks

Old 04-29-05, 03:05 PM
J
Please provide the model number of the Hunter control you bought. Also tell us what the instructions say about the function of each color wire.

Was there anything in the switch box previously? If so, how was it connected?

Old 04-30-05, 06:29 AM
C
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Please provide the model number of the Hunter control you bought. Also tell us what the instructions say about the function of each color wire.

Was there anything in the switch box previously? If so, how was it connected?

Model number of Hunter control is 27183. wiring diagram has blue to fan, red to light, black to hot.

The switch box on wall is supposed to control the ceiling box which is prewired for ceiling fan. Currently there is no fan nor light installed in the ceiling. The on/off switch on wall has the red and purple wires connected on two terminals (side of switch), and the yellow wire is connected on back terminal of switch. There is a color green terminal on side of switch but there is no wire connected to it.

Thank you

Old 04-30-05, 07:35 AM
J
The on/off switch on wall has the red and purple wires connected on two terminals (side of switch), and the yellow wire is connected on back terminal of switch
The yellow wire is connected to the back terminal on which side of the switch? The side where the red wire is connected, or the side where the purple wire is connected?

I'm going to guess that the answer is that the yellow wire is connected to the side of the switch with the purple wire. That makes a bit more sense.

At the wall:
  • Red from wall to black from Hunter control.
  • Purple from wall to blue from Hunter control.
  • Yellow from wall to red from Hunter control.
At the ceiling:
  • White to white.
  • Zebra from fan to yellow from ceiling.
  • Black from fan to purple from ceiling.
  • Green from fan to the metal box (or to the fan bracket as directed by fan's instructions).
If there are additional grounding wires you didn't mention, all grounding wires (green or bare), green screws, and metal boxes must be connected.

Old 04-30-05, 08:28 AM
C
The yellow wire is connected to the back terminal on which side of the switch? The side where the red wire is connected, or the side where the purple wire is connected?

I'm going to guess that the answer is that the yellow wire is connected to the side of the switch with the purple wire. That makes a bit more sense.
Your guess is correct. The yellow wire at wall is connected to the back terminal on the purple side of switch. The red wire at wall is at bottom terminal of switch. I will follow your instruction.

You mentioned to connect the green wire from fan to metal box . I checked the light fixture in the dining room and the bare wire was not connected to the metal box. Is there a reason why the electrician who wired the entire house & installed light fixtures did not connect it to metal box? It's an 11 month old house and all electrical wires are in a conduit.

Thank you for your time.

Old 04-30-05, 08:38 AM
J
Is there a reason why the electrician who wired the entire house & installed light fixtures did not connect it to metal box?
Sounds like he made a mistake. I'd check a few other boxes to see if the mistake is repeated. Then I'd call the builder (before the one-year warranty expires) and ask him to send the electrician back.

Old 05-03-05, 11:13 AM
C
Sounds like he made a mistake. I'd check a few other boxes to see if the mistake is repeated. Then I'd call the builder (before the one-year warranty expires) and ask him to send the electrician back.
I just checked all light fixtures in the house, and the green/bare wire in each fixture is not connected to anything (& not capped). There is no green screw in box to connect it to.

Installed the fan yesterday, and all connections worked great. Thank you

Last edited by canon; 05-03-05 at 11:54 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: