replacing light w/outlet with one without

Old 04-29-05, 02:16 PM
catwoman
Visiting Guest
Question replacing light w/outlet with one without

I removed the old wall light (vanity bar) from my bathroom. It had a light and an outlet. The replacement light does not have an outlet. I can't tell which 2 of the 4 wires coming from the box I should use for the new light. Either of the 2 blacks will light up the tester with either of the 2 whites even when the switch is in the off position. It is lit more brightly with one than with the other. The old light worked fine, but I'm replacing it for cosmetic reasons. I already put in a new switch. Thanks.

Old 04-30-05, 04:56 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Was the receptacle switched or permanent hot on old light? Tell us all the wires going to the light and the switch.

Old 05-05-05, 05:38 AM
catwoman
Visiting Guest
I was able to do it using a suggestion posted for someone else's question. There were 2 black wires and the white wire was split into 2. I assumed the black that made the tester light up the brightest was the power from the old receptacle, so I capped it and left it. I attached to the new light the other black, which lit up the tester dimly, and one of the whites. I capped and left the extra white. The suggestion I followed said to connect the power wire to the extra white wire and tuck them away, but the breaker wouldn't hold with them connected, so I separated them. It works the way I have it now. Is it safe?

Old 05-05-05, 08:19 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Were the black and whites you connected to the light in the same cable?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: