adding a ceiling light

Old 05-07-05, 06:23 PM
H
Handyman58
Visiting Guest
adding a ceiling light

I would like to know How To Add another ceiling light in a mobile home. This person has a ceiling light and where they want to ADD another ceiling light over their table. How can I find or run a wire up to it? Adding a switch is no problem, just running the wiring over to it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-05, 08:46 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove the cover from the exisiting switch,

and look at the wires on the sides of the switch. If you see at least two cables in the box and two black wires are connected to the switch, then you should be able to pull power from there.
Power-> switch-> light

If there's only 1 cable with a black and white connected to the switch, then power comes in at the exisiting light in the cieling.
power-> light-> switch, aka a "switch loop".

Another idea is to tap power from an outlet in the room- as long as this is not a kitchen or dining area. The last possibility is a new wire from the breaker box.

I'm not an electrician, but I don't think mobile homes are easy to wire. The walls tend to be thinner which means smaller/thinner electrical boxes. Your best bet may be a wiremold type of product, which can be run on the surface of the walls. (I'm assuming that this home does not have alumuminum wiring-if it does, then I'd consider an electrician to do this work.) Newer mobile homes are a lot closer to normal house wiring, with standard boxes, outlets, and real drywall.

Hope this helps!