3 speed fan switch replacement

Old 05-10-05, 12:07 PM
dxbeck
Visiting Guest
Smile 3 speed fan switch replacement

Hello,

The chain to my 3 speed fan switch broke inside the switch. It's a switch with 4 wires, black, red, yellow and blue. I bought a similar replacement. The directions said to note the positions of the old wires and put them in the same positions of the new switch. I did this and it didn't work the way it is designed to. The fan came on fast but not medium and low. Thinking the positions were not the same on the old and new switches, I tried all 24 different wiring combinations but didn't get that winning combination. Could the new switch be faulty or is it just my wiring? I spent so much time trying all the combinations, I'm thinking about buying a new fan. Different combinations of wiring resulted in different speeds of operations but not all three (high, medium, low...not to mention off).

I've installed a dozen or more fans, but have never had to replace the internal switch to the fan before. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Old 05-10-05, 01:11 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried all 24 different wiring combinations
I admire your thoroughness (and your math skills to know how many combinations there are).

Replacing these things is tricky. I always prefer to call the fan manufacture with the exact make and model of the fan and get them to send you an exact replacement part.

Old 05-10-05, 03:36 PM
dxbeck
Visiting Guest
Smile

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my question. I think you hit the nail on the head. I should have gotten an exact replacement from the manufacturer. I probably can get one over the internet. I'm going to look at the fan and see if I can determine who made it. I think my math skills and stubborness to make the one I bought work overrode my common sense.
Thanks again.

Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: