ceiling fan and remote

Old 05-18-05, 04:31 PM
wggring
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan and remote

I hope someone can help. I have an existing 2 way switch. I think that is what it is called...you can turn a light on or off at entrance and exit of room. The existing wiring in ceiling that they control is, 1 red wire, 1 black, 1 white, and 1 ground. I want to install a celing fan light combo and a remote but I don't understand how to wire it because the remote has only a black wire and white wire to connect to ceiling wires. The remote then has 3 wires to connect to fan and light.( black, white, and white and black ) The fan has white, black, and blue. and ground. Can anyone tell me where to begin. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-05, 07:57 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
I can tell you this much about the fan.
White is common the light and fan.
Black is fan hot.
Blue is light hot.

Old 05-19-05, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If two switches both control the same fixture, then the switches are called "3-way" switches.

If there is only one such switch by each door, then chances are that the black wire at the ceiling is an unswitched hot, and the red wire at the ceiling is the switched hot. This is just an educated guess. The definitive answer can only be obtained by testing and/or examining the wiring at the switches. If you don't want to do that analysis, you can go with my guess and see if it works.

The connections on the output side of the remote receiver (i.e., to the fan) are pretty simple. Connect black-to-black, white-to-white, and black with a white stripe to blue.

The connections on the input side of the remote receiver would depend on how you want the thing to work:
  • If you want to use the remote transmitter exclusively (and render the wall switches useless), then connect the input side of the receiver black-to-black and white-to-white, and cap off the red wire in the ceiling.
  • If you want to use the wall switch, then connect black from the fan to red from the ceiling, and white to white, capping off the black wire in the ceiling. Depending on which remote receiver you have, the wall switch may turn on the light, or it may do nothing (and you will just leave it on all the time).

Old 05-23-05, 11:32 PM
wggring
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help. I found a past post with the same problem and their sugestion was...black and red to black on remote and white to white. I knew how to wire the rest of the fan. I followed the sugestion of the past post and it worked beautifully

Old 05-24-05, 08:05 AM
Your way works if you want to take the wall switches out of the picture. By connecting both the red and the black to the remote receiver, you have connected both unswitched hot and switched hot. Since unswitched hot always provides power, the connection of the switched hot is immaterial. So you could have done the same thing by connecting only the black instead of both the black and the red. But what you did is fine, and it's equivalent to capping off the red wire.

But you still have the options I presented earlier if you want them. Your method is just another way of choosing the first option.

Old 05-26-05, 07:16 PM
wggring
Visiting Guest
John,
You are sooo right. The wall switch didn't work, I thought it was because of the remote. I will leave it the way it is for now because it is such a pain to change. It would be nice to turn on the light when you enter the room, so I will change it in the near future. Thank you so much for your help....Gail

Old 07-26-05, 07:06 PM
zadd5
Visiting Guest
remote fan

I had the same question.I want to use the remote and use my wall switches.So you say,If I hook the red to the black it will run the remote funcions and the wall switches?

Old 07-26-05, 08:57 PM
Yes, connect the red wire in the ceiling to the black input wire on the remote receiver. How it works after that depends on the brand and model of the remote you have. You'll have to experiment to find out.

Old 07-27-05, 05:39 PM
zadd5
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I tried the red to the blk and nothing worked.So what I ended up doing was hooking the red to the blues on the receiver for the remote and it all works .The switches at the wall all work like before,the only diffirence is you can't work the bottom light through the remote,but u can at the switch.The fan and the upper light work with the remote.That's not to bad