Terminate [low voltage] Landscape Lighting Wire?

Old 05-20-05, 08:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Terminate Landscape Lighting Wire?

Hi,

I am about to install some low voltage landscape lighting and was wondering what I do with the end of the wire after I make my run. I have looked everywhere for guidance and I cant find any information on what to do with the end of the cable run. I doubt I leave the end exposed. What needs to be done to the end? Just wrap with electrical tape and bury?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

Lou

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-05, 06:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
buggdog,

When we do installs like this we actually have end caps for the wire supplied by the manufacturer of the lighting we use. However, it may not be an option for you if you got the units at a Mega Supply Store.

If you wish to simply cap it you can do a few things as you are dealing with low voltage so it is not nearly as critical.

1.) I would not used Electrical Tape because it is not waterproof and will break down over time and with increased moisture.

2.) I would suggest you swap the end with Rubber Tape and then you can buy some HEAT SHRINK in the same area as the electrical tape in the Mega Supply Hardware Store......and then after wrapping with rubber tape, slide the heat shrink over it and now heat it down with a lighter is all you need until it becomes nice and tight and sealed and then you are done.

You also may just find the caps needed in the same isle but the above is what we would do if we did not have the caps for the end.