Wiring 2 Entry lights with photocell

Old 05-25-05, 04:59 PM
toddburns
Visiting Guest
Question Wiring 2 Entry lights with photocell

Help!! I am trying to wire 2 outside entry lights to a photocell I don't have to worry about forgetting to switch them off in the morning when I leave the house. I need help with the wiring diagram so that this will work for both lights with one sensor.

Old 05-25-05, 10:47 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The photocell will come with a wiring diagram. The details for your particular situation will depend on how it is wired now.

Old 05-26-05, 05:51 AM
toddburns
Visiting Guest
Wiring Diagram

Yes, the box did have a wiring diagram but only for one light. I am trying to do this for the two lights that are on each side of my entryway.

The box does not have instructions for that.

Any help?

Old 05-26-05, 05:58 AM
toddburns,

Basically, if you are wiring (2) lights on one PHOTOCELL you simply wire the second light up the same as the one.

Meaning since you are clear on how to wire one of them...you just treat the feed to the second light in the same manner...like it just has super long fixture wires.....

You do the wiring of the one light...as the directions say...but when you hook the lines up for the one...now hook the lines that go to the OTHER light as well.....the exact same way you did the first one.

It would help more if you would explain how your lights are currently wired just clarify it a bit.

Old 05-26-05, 10:01 AM
J
Todd, do the two lights and the switch already exist, or is all this new? If it already exists, you'll need to do a bit of investigating at the light and switch boxes to see how it is wired now. If it will all be new, then you have several options, depending on how you want to route the cable, and we can help you explore those options.

Old 05-29-05, 10:22 AM
toddburns,

Since we did not hear back I did want to make another suggestion. You can also now buy SOCKET style photocells that simply screw down into the light socket and the buld then screws down into it...the power to run it comes from the light itself and you just leave the switch on and it takes care of the rest.....

Just a easier suggestion to give you a quick fix. But the wiring I described will work for using one photocell for multiple lights....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: