Fluorecent to low voltage fixture problem

Old 05-26-05, 08:01 PM
sacljk
Visiting Guest
Question Fluorecent to low voltage fixture problem

I replaced my kitchen fluorecent light fixtures ( 3- 4 ft shop lights tied in series recessed behind plastic light lens) with a low voltage track light. The track light has 5- 20 watt MR-16 bulbs with a 105w 12 volt transformer. When it was installed it worked fine. It was a little dim, so I installed a 35 watt bulb. Inadvertantly going above the transformers capacity. The fixture burned out. I then bought a 300w tranformer and installed it exactly like the original one. I increased the wattage of the bulbs but keeped them under the 300watts. The fixture worked fine for about four hours then burned out. The transformer was very hot. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Someone told me the power is different going to fluorecent lighting but this doesn't make any sence to me. Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-05, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
sacljk,

The power supply to a fluorescent fixture is the same as any other 120 volt rated unit.

You could check a couple of things.
Make sure the output voltage of the new transformer is 12 volts.
Check to see that there is not a dimmer connected to this fixture.
Make sure the replacement bulbs are 12 volts.
Make sure you have 120 volts to the new fixture and that it is not inadvertantly connected in series with something else.
This shouldn't make a difference to the transformer but for safety make sure the fixture is rated for the higher wattage bulbs.

Old 06-21-05, 11:35 PM
sacljk
Visiting Guest
It is solved

The transformer was rated for 300W 12 V but only on a rrack of 5 feet and down to 50W at 30 feet. My track was 10 feet so I reduced the wattage to 165 w Thanks for your help