How to lengthen light switch wires!?!?!?

Old 05-30-05, 11:48 PM
MaryJane
Visiting Guest
How to lengthen light switch wires!?!?!?

The gentleman that replaced my two kitchen light switches informed me that my black wires are too short (they are piggy-backed to each other), thus one light switch has to be upside down (opposite of the one next to it)! Is there a way I can lengthen the wire so that I can flip the switch to match the one next to it (the inside of the box is really very tight and seems to be no room for the larger wire caps needed for the wires)! Any and all information will be greatly appreciated. MaryJane

Old 05-31-05, 06:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
He could used a pigtail to lengthen the wire

or run new wire if possible

Old 05-31-05, 08:01 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
MaryJane, it sounds to me like the "gentleman" who did your work is not very competent in electrical wiring. Pigtailing on a longer wire is pretty simple stuff. By careful and skilled packing, it should be possible to make this all fit in the existing box. Or if not, a larger box can be installed.

Old 05-31-05, 10:57 PM
MaryJane
Visiting Guest
Thanks John for the response . . . but, what is "pigtailing?" I'm assuming it's with the wires being extended are done with those wire plugs you twist on to get two wires together?
MaryJane, it sounds to me like the "gentleman" who did your work is not very competent in electrical wiring. Pigtailing on a longer wire is pretty simple stuff. By careful and skilled packing, it should be possible to make this all fit in the existing box. Or if not, a larger box can be installed.

Old 06-01-05, 05:47 AM
Hi MaryJane
here look at this
http://doityourself.com/electric/electconnectb.htm

pg

Old 06-01-05, 07:50 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The word "pigtail" has no universally agreed-upon meaning, and different people use it differently.

But what I and pgtek were referring to is using a "wire nut" (what you called a "wire plug") to connect an extra piece of wire to the existing wire to make it longer.

My guess is that your handyman did not have any extra wire with him, and had to make do with what was already there. About 15 cents will buy all the wire you need.

P.S. The article that pgtek referred to is very poorly written. It is not clearly written, is improperly punctuated, misuses terms, advises deprecated practices, and even contains some violations of the national electrical code. I don't recommend it.

Last edited by John Nelson; 06-01-05 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-01-05, 08:52 AM
pictail picture

hi john
the reason i had that link is to show the picture of the pictail
how it's done only not the text part just the picture

Old 06-10-05, 11:04 AM
MaryJane
Visiting Guest
Smile "Thank You"

Thanks to all who advised me . . . info and insight into this correction project is definitely feasible by me! Regards - Mary Jane

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: