3 way switch for ceiling fan lights

Old 06-01-05, 11:21 PM
atclee
Visiting Guest
3 way switch for ceiling fan lights

Here is my situation. I have a fairly large dining room with light switch boxes at both ends. The room was prewired for 3-way light switches. A 2-wire (w/ground) power source comes into one of the boxes and 3-wire (w/ground) supply lines extend from both boxes up to the ceiling junction box..

I have a ceiling fan with 4 wires... black, white, black/white stripe (light) and ground. Is it possible to have a separate control for the light and a separate control for the fan using switches?

Obviously on box would contain the fan control and one of thw 3-way switches and the other box would have the other 3-way switch.

If this is possible, what is the correct way to do this? Is there a wiring diagram online that would show this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andre

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-05, 07:59 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but you can't do this without more wires from each box to the ceiling. Many manufacturers make smart wall switches that can do this when 3-way switches are not involved, but I don't know of any that work with 3-way switches.

The easiest solution is to connect both the black and the black/white wires from the fan to whatever the black wire from the light was previously connected to. Then the wall switches would control both functions and you'd use the pull chains to discriminate. Another option is to get a fan with a remote control, or add on a remote control to an existing fan.