Problems with Ceiling fan/dimmer switch

Old 06-13-05, 10:41 AM
Lucky Penny
Visiting Guest
Problems with Ceiling fan/dimmer switch

About 3 weeks ago I installed a ceiling fan w/lights to replace an existing one, (which the fan no longer worked). I wanted it to operate like my old one, The lights to work with the wall mounted dimmer switch or pull chain and the fan to operate by the pull chain only, but am having problems achieving this. The lights I have no problems with, it's the fan. If I pull the chain for the fan nothing happens UNLESS I turn the light switch on, then it works. What did I do wrong? How can I correct the problem? Now just last night my dimmer switch doesn't dim anymore. Does this have to do with the fan or do you think I just need a new dimmer switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-05, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
you have only 2 wire in the ceilling box
a white and black and a ground wire
you need 3 wire: black, red extra white wires for that

Old 06-13-05, 11:55 AM
Lucky Penny
Visiting Guest
Maybe I will fix it for good and use BOTH duct tape and use WD-40.
Anymore suggestions!!

Old 06-14-05, 06:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
you need a 14/3 wire to do this
or connect them fan and light together on the same switch
or run new wire to it

Old 06-14-05, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Penny,
You need to tell us what wires you have at the switch and at the fan's junction box. I might guess that you have 2 sets of wires at the fan's junction box, each set with a black, white, and bare wire. And I will assume your fan has 3 wires - black, white, and maybe blue (could be different color than blue).

If this is the case, we need to determine which set of wires brings power into the junction box and which set goes down to the switch. Then you hook up the incoming power's black wire to the the white for the switch and to a black pigtail (short piece of wire) that connects to the fans black wire. The incoming power's white wire is connected the fans white wire. The switch's black wire is connected to the fans blue (don't know what color wires your fan actually has). The bare wires get connected together with and a pigtail goes to the junction box if it is metal and another pigtail to the fan (don't know if the fan has a green wire for this or it could have a green screw someplace. Again, I am only guessing what wires you have and you need to confirm this before proceeding.

Old 06-15-05, 05:37 AM
Lucky Penny
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi Phil,

According to the instructions that came with my ceiling fan, it says the lights are "Pre-wired". There are 4 wires coming from the fan junction box, white, black, blue and green. I'm sorry I can't tell you the colors of the wires from the switch until Friday when I disassemble the fan to "re-wire" it. I will let you know the rest of the colors Friday.

P.S.

I see 3 options for wiring:
1. Wiring only the fan & not using the lights
2. Wiring the lights and fan using only the pull chains
3. Wiring the lights and fan using a wall switch

I am afraid maybe I bought the wrong ceiling fan & light kit, because it sounds to me like the fan and lights are wired together. They don't work independently. I'll get back with you Friday.

Old 06-17-05, 06:40 PM
Lucky Penny
Visiting Guest
Red face

Please see my latest posting. I have more details on the wire colors. Still trying to get it wired right. Thanks for everyone's help know just hope I can do it.

Old 06-17-05, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the old fan worked this way, you can make the new fan work this way too. But we need to know the wiring at the ceiling box. First tell us the wires in the ceiling box, ignoring the fan wires (all the wires, even the ones not connected to the fan). Then tell us the fan wires--not the wires between the fan and the light--only the ones coming out the top of the rod for attaching to the ceiling wires.