Bathroom Light Switch now does not work

Old 06-17-05, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Light Switch now does not work

I have 3 bathrooms all connected / controlled by one breaker i.e. turn the breaker off and the power shuts down in all bathrooms.
Recently painted the bathroom and replaced the light fixture over the mirror and no I did not mark the wire connestions - actually thought it would be an easy task since the fixture only had 1 white wire and 1 black wire.
However when I connected everything the result was that while the light would come on , it was not controlled by the switch (flick the switch on an off and nothing happens). The only way to turn the light off is to unscrew the bulb.
There are 2 cables coming into the wall switch (1 with a white, red, black and ground and the other with a white, black and ground - the whites are twisted together leaving 2 black wires and the grounds).
There are 2 cables coming into the fixture box (1 with white, red, black and ground and the other with white, black and ground - the whites and blacks are twisted together leaving the red by itself with a screw cap on it).
How do I get the wall switch working again ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-05, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
First turn off the power. Then try connecting the fixture black to the red from the wall box. Restore power and test for proper operation. If this works kill the power and re-install the fixture.

Old 06-17-05, 03:02 PM
Fixture black to wall red.
Fixture white to both wall whites.
Two wall black wires to each other.

Old 06-25-05, 09:49 AM
thanks for the advise ..... the light and switch now work the way they're suppose to.

I feel relatively inadequate given the solution i.e. fixture black to wall red

thanks again guys.