florescent light fixture

Old 06-18-05, 06:57 PM
stace
Visiting Guest
florescent light fixture

my florescent light started flickering, so I replaced the light bulbs. That did not work, so I bought and replaced the balast. The light still did not work, but I could hear the balast buzz and see a slight glow on the bases of the bulbs. I am at a loss as to what to do next. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-05, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Until someone comes along who knows fluorescent lighting, I will make a couple suggestions. Make sure your ballast is correct for the tubes you are using. You don't say what kind of fluorescent this is, but some of them have a small round device called a starter. I don't think you have a starter because you would have seen it when you replaced the ballast.

Make sure your tubes are installed properly. If your tubes have 2 prongs on each end, my only practical suggestion is to try gently twisting the tubes a very small amount (one way then the other) to see if the lights come on. Sometimes the contacts on the sockets become loose or corroded. I personally haven't had much luck cleaning up the sockets and usually replace them. By the way, some people call these sockets tombstones.

Old 06-23-05, 06:48 PM
stace
Visiting Guest
still no light

I have the horseshoe type bulbs and the starter is part of the balast. I have checked and rechecked all of the connections and was wondering about the "tombstones". Could one of them be bad? I have been unable to find the ones I need in the local hardware stores or in the chain stores. They are the only thing I have not replaced.