Low Voltage Lighting

Old 06-19-05, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low Voltage Lighting

Hi,
Im fitting some Low Voltage lighting, and have a question about the Recessed Housing and the connection.

Does anyone know if I need some low voltage cable or I can use the regular feed (12/2) I have within the room?

Im also thinking of fitting the non-low voltage type if this is too difficult. I assume the low voltage are different in that they will use less power?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by tobja; 06-19-05 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-05, 12:19 AM
I am curious what low voltage recessed light fixtures you have. The ones that I have see have an integral transformer/power supply so you need to feed the fixture with 120 volt.

Old 06-20-05, 12:28 PM
Hi,
I haven't actually bought them yet. I want to ensure I get the right ones hence the question.

I note that there are some that look the same but one is low voltage and the other not. So I just want to know the difference and what is required if I purchase the low voltage one.

Thanks

Old 06-20-05, 12:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
They will both use the same power. Watts are watts regardless of voltage. A 60 watt bulb will use the same power at 12 or 120 volts.

There is however, a slight waste of power on low voltage lights because transformers are not 100% efficient. This is minimal and shouldn't be considered in your choice of the right product for the job.

Where in your home are you installing these lights? In cabinets and kitchen coutertops I prefer low voltage lights with the transformer hidden above the upper cabinets or inside the base cabinets.

You don't need low voltage cable, but if the cable runs into the wall cavities it does need to be rated for in-wall use. Most LV cable is not, so using 12-2 would be okay.

Old 06-20-05, 12:54 PM
Thanks ibpooks.

I'll be using them in a half bath/laundry room which Im finishing off. I framed out an area from the ceiling about a foot out so it provides downlighting to the toilet/sink area etc.

Do the low voltage lights take the different bulbs (MR-16 for example)?

Old 06-26-05, 06:34 PM
Hi,
following on from this thread, I have purchased the housing that are not low voltage (if thats relevant), and they're the non-ic remodel type.

Im not too sure how they get secured. I have cut the 4" hole and it fits perfectly in terms of looks etc but do I have to also purchase the rack (t bars?) to secure them to?

Any help would be appreciated, this is the link to the housing I purchased for reference

http://cheaperlights.com/catalog/pro...products_id/24

Old 06-26-05, 07:53 PM
There are four clips on the side of the can. Pull them back and slide the fixture up in to the hole.

Then push each one of the clips up in to the can until it locks in to place.

Old 06-27-05, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I realised not too long after that the hole I cut was the wrong size. I cut it to the lip size rather than the lip resting on the underside of the ceiling.

Now also got the hang of the clips but p'd off that today I had to replace a foot square or so of the ceiling!! Lucky I didnt do them all...