120V Landscape Lights

Old 06-21-05, 10:06 PM
120V Landscape Lights

I have 120V line in conduit under my garden and also in the back yard. It supplies 7 landscape lights, which I plan on replacing. Does anyone know where I can purchase the hanging lantern type landscape lights in 120V. It seems that all the nice looking lights are created in 12v Low Voltage. Maybe I should get a transformer and convert my system to low voltage.

Any ideas or anyone else encounter this type of situation???

Thanks for any advice....

bobathome

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-05, 10:23 PM
Does anyone know where I can purchase the hanging lantern type landscape lights in 120V. It seems that all the nice looking lights are created in 12v Low Voltage.
I'm not sure what you mean by a "hanging lantern" style landscape light. What does it hang from?

Could you make something out of a chain-hung porch light? (They're usually priced very reasonably at home centers).

You might also like loking through this website - they have a fixture/manufacturer finder search engine that's pretty slick:

http://www.thelightingcenter.com/products/34/

Old 06-21-05, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Cheyenps
I'm not sure what you mean by a "hanging lantern" style landscape light. What does it hang from?

Could you make something out of a chain-hung porch light? (They're usually priced very reasonably at home centers).

You might also like loking through this website - they have a fixture/manufacturer finder search engine that's pretty slick:

http://www.thelightingcenter.com/products/34/
I found this fixture there - it's beautiful but it looks like it might be kinda spendy...

http://www.thelightingcenter.com/products/*/*/2358

Old 06-21-05, 10:43 PM
Hanging Lantern

I guess that wasnt a great description. I have been to lowes and home depot and they both offer low volt lighting in many different styles and they have several types that look like a shepard hook and have a lantern looking light hanging from it.....See the link below....It is the one from Malibu....

http://www.usalight.com/landscape/pa...way%20Lighting

Just wish I could get something like this in 120V....would make my life much easier.....

I will use the link to checkout the other lights available....thanks for the link!!!

bobathome

Old 06-23-05, 02:25 AM
The linked example "fits up to 10 gauge wire" (EDIT: yet "prewired with #18") , and I'll be very curious when hooking up a lot of similar Malibu lamps next month ( These ones ). My guess is that they could easily be converted to 120v 'w ground, with new wires and socket, safe at low wattage, though of course they'd lack CSA/UL certification. I'll report back then.

Old 06-25-05, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by bobathome
Just wish I could get something like this in 120V....would make my life much easier.....
There's really nothing difficult about hooking up the LV lights to a transformer.

Old 06-25-05, 10:10 PM
But then he'd plug in his lawnmower at the back of the yard; get 12 volts.

Old 06-26-05, 07:03 PM
I tried looking for 120v landscaspe lites but ended up extending my GFCI circuit & using a 12v system.If you do go with an L.V. system dont use the stakes supplied with the fixtures.They dont go nearly deep enough into the ground which causes the fixtures to be unstable.Lowes sells a fixture post made of PVC that works great.